Great experience with suunto & diver's direct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grounded

Registered
Reaction score
Recently, my Suunto Vyper2 locked up permanently. I'm not sure if I missed a mandatory stop on my last dive or whether it was something else entirely, but the computer locked into "Er" mode and wouldn't come out. I purchased the computer from Diver's direct in 2008. I brought it back to Diver's direct and asked if they could bring it back into normal mode. After a few exchanged phone calls (between me and the tech at divers direct and between him and suunto) I was told that the computer was irreparable, outside of warranty and no longer supported by suunto.

At first I was furious, thinking that a $500 computer should give me more than 3 years of use. I've been diving suunto computers since 1995 and was left with the dilemma of learning a new interface from a different manufacturer or buying another computer from suunto, which no longer had my confidence. I expressed these thoughts to the tech. He told me he see what he could do, and would call me back.

Later that afternoon, he did, in fact, call me back. Although the vyper2 was no longer supported, suunto would replace my unit with their replacement- the vyper2. At no cost to me!

After a two or three week wait for shipping, I'm diving with a brand-new vyper air tomorrow.

I realize that the computer was outside of warranty, and that neither diver's direct nor suunto had any obligation to me whatsoever. What both companies demonstrated, however, was a commitment to customer service and a willingness to stand behind their products. I have recommended suunto computers to many people over the years. Now, I have anecdotal evidence I can point to when I tell people they can feel safe buying suunto computers and shopping at diver's direct

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom