Great Deal On Boltsnaps!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I was at the local Lowe's Home Improvement store today walking down the hardware aisle looking for some poly rope when I noticed a sign that read "50% off all stainless steel hardware in stock". When I asked the guy working in that department what the deal was he told me that they were getting a new supplier for their stainless steel so they were marking down the remaining stuff from their old supplier. I bought 1/2"& 3/4" SS boltsnaps for $2.33 and I bought several 4" SS double-enders for $3.23, well, actually I bought all of the boltsnaps and double-enders they had, 10 of each size boltsnaps, and 12 double-enders as well as some SS screws for the boat hardware and a couple of other SS odds and ends. I don't know if this is something all of the Lowe's stores are doing or not, but I thought I would let everybody know about it so y'all could check out your local store.:D

Thanks for the info JT, I'm going to check out my local Lowe's and see what's up. I wonder if their ss boltsnap hardware is marine rated, i.e. are the little springs going to rust or are they stainless as well?

I took advantage of that offer too, JT. I don't know if you got the same type of boltsnaps that I did, but I'm concerned they won't be lasting that long. When I compared them at home to my "marine grade" SS snaps, they look distinctly different. The real ones are smooth all over, whereas these have a line down all of the edges that I presume is from a different forging process, and they look "plated" somehow. I don't know enough about metallurgy to know for sure if they're lame, but I do know they're different. They've been in the Salt a few times and still work. I'll report back if the springs fall apart.

Cheers,

Rick

GearHead once bubbled...
I took advantage of that offer too, JT. I don't know if you got the same type of boltsnaps that I did, but I'm concerned they won't be lasting that long. When I compared them at home to my "marine grade" SS snaps, they look distinctly different. The real ones are smooth all over, whereas these have a line down all of the edges that I presume is from a different forging process, and they look "plated" somehow. I don't know enough about metallurgy to know for sure if they're lame, but I do know they're different. They've been in the Salt a few times and still work. I'll report back if the springs fall apart.
The ones I bought were marine grade ss boltsnaps and are smooth all over with no lines, and they are not plated. Also, a magnet will not stick to them, and I am told that this is one way to tell if something is truly stainless. I do not know for sure if the magnet test always applies, but the headers on my dads boat are stainless steel and a magnet will not stick to them either. The magnet does stick to the plated boltsnaps that I have. HTH

WJL once bubbled...
Thanks for the info JT, I'm going to check out my local Lowe's and see what's up. I wonder if their ss boltsnap hardware is marine rated, i.e. are the little springs going to rust or are they stainless as well?
Hey WJL, I hope it's not the same Lowes that I'll be going to.:wink:
I have bought a bunch of the SS bolt snaps from Lowes before and they have been marine grade with SS springs as well. I haven't had any problems with the ones I have now rusting or the like.

First one there gets all the bolt snaps!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom