Great charter experience on Georgian Bay Explorers, out of Penetanguishine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day with flat conditions around Christian and Hope Islands, Georgian Bay. The water temperature was 71F, with corresponding middling viz. The charter did three shallow new-to-me wrecks: Michigan (barge), Marquette (schooner) and Mapledawn (freighter).

We were diving from Georgian Explorer’s newest charter boat, a refitted research vessel. This was the boat’s second charter day. The dive ladder is wide steps, which are spaced appropriately for shorter divers. Kudos for this, often rungs are too widely space for short people.

The roof of the cabin had two deck prisms set in it. I’ve only seen this feature in the 1800’s shipwreck City of Sheboygan. Deck prisms are prisms of glass set into the wood of the deck that allow sunlight into the space below, and were used before electricity came along. Maybe they played a function on the charter boat when it was a research vessel.

Captain Tim was knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

Two side gates for water access, almost at water level. Plenty of space for divers. There is a covered cabin with a head.

The charter offers a home cooked lunch, we had sweet and sour meatballs and noodles. There was a fruit bowl, coffee, tea, a fridge with soft drinks and juice and a freezer with Freezees. This is the first time I’ve been on an Ontario charter boat that served food. Kudos for that, too!

All in all a very lovely day, with great diving, great weather and great food!

D6F33715-11C9-42C7-A64F-4282F4E67BEA.jpeg

Glass deck prism set into the roof of the deck cabin.
27DB93EC-0DC8-4AF0-B15A-A05D8CCB2953.jpeg
1855CF6F-CC58-4E7C-9360-0A83E685CDF1.jpeg

We've been out with them before a couple of times, albeit not on this boat, and had a great time. We did the same wrecks, and enjoyed them quite a bit. What did you do for fills? There's not much in the way of options that way...

We've been out with them before a couple of times, albeit not on this boat, and had a great time. We did the same wrecks, and enjoyed them quite a bit. What did you do for fills? There's not much in the way of options that way...
Brought my own filled tanks, it was just for one day. The captain did talk about getting a fill station at some point, sounded like sooner rather than later.

One of my buddies took this photo of the second boat, On Duty, and Captain Tim.
042E8B10-18FB-4252-846A-3FA439D6D1C5.jpeg

Always a great day of diving when out with Georgian Explorer Charters.
These shallow wreck dives are a fantastic experience for every level of diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom