GREAT BBQ SAUCE - Guava Jerk BBQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, POST the dang thing!! :D
Right now I have 3 racks of ribs & a sliced up loin marinating with the dry rub (just took 'em out of the wet brine) and a few slabs sitting with Jamacian Jerk on them. I'll be needing some Q sauce come tomorrow when the smokehouse gets fired up. :crafty:

ok, this is really easy to make, but it takes some things that aren't always easy to find.

Jerk BBQ Sauce makes a little over a gallon of BBQ Sauce, I always have lots of bottles around, and I freeze it or I give it out to freinds to use (I have lots of folks asking when am I going to make more BBQ sauce )

Walkers Wood Jerk Marinade = 1/2 cup (do not substitute any other marinade here, you will not be happy with the sauce if you do)

Ketchup = 57 oz
BBQ Sauce* = 2 qt

*you can use any generic mesquite BBQ sauce

I prefer the KC Masterpiece, it is a good basic sauce.

Guava Juice = 1 qt (use REAL Guava Juice) you can find it in the refrigerated section of your supermarket, not always real easy to find but worth finding the good stuff.

Orange Juice = 1/2 qt

the Walkers Wood Jerk Marinade can be found either at like a world market type store, or you can order it over the Internet. http://marketbaskt.com/marinlarge.htm

Remember this will keep for a long time, but it has to be REFRIGERATED, it has real juice in it.

For spicier sauce add more of the Jerk Marinade, for sweeter sauce add more of the OJ, but the more of the OJ you add the thinner the sauce gets.

I love this BBQ Sauce and make it all the time, it IMO is the BEST BBQ I have ever had. It is AWESOME on RIBS!!!

I have more recepies using the Walkers Wood Marinade once you get it and if you like it, let me know I will send you some great chicken and pork recipies using the Walkers Wood Marinade.

Sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a try. I've always been disappointed with commercial Jerk spice/marinade; I make my own, even grind my own mace berries.
The Jerk "paste" I make keeps in fridge for years, I'm down to my last couple of jars & will be having to make more by spring.

Jamaican Jerk

1/2 cup ground allspice berries
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
6 to 8 garlic bulbs
4 to 6 habaneros, seeded if yer a whimp.
1 tablespoon ground thyme or 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
2 bunches scallions/ green onions - with the tops
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 TBS canning or kosher salt, [w/o iodine]
1/2 cup soy sauce to moisten

Toss the goodies in a food processor (it's thick for a blender) & whip it up.
Smear on chicken/pork at least a day or 2 before smoking/grilling.
You can scrape the excess off after cooking, I like to lay it on thick.
The stuff keeps for YEARS in the fridge.

Wow that sounds good bob3. I wonder if you cut it with some lemon juice or vinager --if it would be good to inject into a turkey before deep frying?

benncool:
... I wonder if you cut it with some lemon juice or vinager --if it would be good to inject into a turkey before deep frying?
The flavor of the Jerk paste would probably be way strong. For injecting (2 days before frying) I just use the good old Mojo Criollo, preferably the Goya or la Lecheron brands (other high quality mojo is ok too).
You can get away with adding a little Jerk to the Mojo.

Lacking local access to Mojo Criollo, here's a similar recipe:

7 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
5 tablespoons rice or distilled vinegar
4 scallions, coarsely chopped
8 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons grated orange rind
1 tablespoons ground cumin
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 habanero, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Substitute 2 jalapenos for the habanero if you're cooking for whimps.

Combine all ingredients and blend or process to form a smooth paste. Let sit an hour or so to blend flavors.

After injecting you can rub on the Jerk paste & let sit at least overnight, or if you want, toss a spoonful of the Jerk into the Mojo a few days before injecting.
I'll sometimes ad a cup of the Jerk to a wet brine I use for smoking stuff, gets the flavor soaked into the meat quite nicely.

[inserting blatent plug]
check the link below for Mojo Criollo :wink:

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Back
Top Bottom