Great Barrier Island/Report on Poor Knights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaTurtle42

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A friend and I are going to Great Barrier Island in a few weeks, but I have never dived there. My friend is a fairly new diver with no experience diving in cold water since getting certified on a nice tropical Pacific island (talk about lucky). Does anyone know a good dive centre there? And is the diving fairly easy for new divers? I know, I'm an instructor and I can look after her, but I'm not familiar with the area myself and wouldn't be comfortable with this.
Secondly, I went up to Tutukaka a few weeks ago and did a dive with Dive Tutukaka! on Poor Knights and I just wanted to report back that it was amazing. The dive centre is very modern, organized, and professional. We had a fantastic guide, Will, who really knew his stuff. The rest of the crew were very pleasant and I have nothing but positive things to say about this company. Of course, since I only live a few hours away, I might go back and try other companies just to check out what others offer.
Cheers for any tips I get back.

Hey fellow fish...

I was just looking for someone in the New Zealand Thread and noticed this one.

great to here your coming over here for some diving. Good One

Cheers Andy

A friend and I are going to Great Barrier Island in a few weeks, but I have never dived there. My friend is a fairly new diver with no experience diving in cold water since getting certified on a nice tropical Pacific island (talk about lucky). Does anyone know a good dive centre there? And is the diving fairly easy for new divers? I ....

Hi
I was on Great Barrier Island a couple of weeks ago but with non-divers so was not looking to get underneath the surface. There are no "dive centres" but there is a filling station at Tryphena and boats that you can charter. I think the diving covers a wide spectrum from simple to more advanced. I suggest you checkout this NZ forum you may get a quicker response www.scubadive.net.nz • Index page. I saw a positive report on diving Great Barrier Island somewhere recently but can't remember the details, or where I read it..

Alison

P.s Andy - Great Barrier Island is off the Coromandel Coast in NZ - confusing I know..

Sorry never dived there myself (except from mainland based boats on day trips) but you can also try the SODS forums.

The Southern Ocean Diving Society (SODS) are a club with an open forum and full of Kiwi divers that have dived all over.
Actually Flipper's brother lives on GB Island so give him a tinkle through the SODS forum and he will be able to give some good advice.

A friend and I are going to Great Barrier Island in a few weeks, but I have never dived there. My friend is a fairly new diver with no experience diving in cold water since getting certified on a nice tropical Pacific island (talk about lucky). Does anyone know a good dive centre there? And is the diving fairly easy for new divers? I know, I'm an instructor and I can look after her, but I'm not familiar with the area myself and wouldn't be comfortable with this.
Secondly, I went up to Tutukaka a few weeks ago and did a dive with Dive Tutukaka! on Poor Knights and I just wanted to report back that it was amazing. The dive centre is very modern, organized, and professional. We had a fantastic guide, Will, who really knew his stuff. The rest of the crew were very pleasant and I have nothing but positive things to say about this company. Of course, since I only live a few hours away, I might go back and try other companies just to check out what others offer.
Cheers for any tips I get back.

Hey Seaturtle :D

There isn't a dive centre on GB Island but it does offer some great diving (so I'm told - I have not yet dived there myself :(). There is a thread in our forum (the one ajtaylor mentioned) about a company called Pacificdive (click here to read it) and then feel free to sign up and ask away!

Great to hear you got to dive with Dive! Tutukaka too - IMHO they are one of the best dive charters around and their staff are extremely knowlegable. When I first dived with them in August last year, I was blown away by Craig's environmental dive briefing - it really added to the whole experience for me.

Have an awesome time whatever you decide to do!

Rachel :lotsalove:

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the info. The diving was brilliant on Great Barrier Island. I'd highly reccomend it to anyone. We ended up just renting some tanks and doing our own thing, but it was easy and safe.
Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom