grease or lube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danilocesar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a camera setup that includes a Ikelite housing and two Sea&Sea strobes...

Sea&Sea recommends to use their own grease on o-rings, while Ikelite requires a more liquid lubricant.

The point is: Is there really a difference between them?
I have a few grease tubes(sea&sea's) and I use them on Ikelite o-ring since I don't have (nor want to buy) Ikelite's lube.

Do you think there is any problem in doing that? In my opinion the result is the same, but I would like to have a second opinion.

thanks

YES, there is a difference between different brands of grease.

Often times there is an incompatibility between manufacturers O-ring grease.

For example I used the Canon O-ring grease on a Sea & Sea strobe O-ring and it broke down the O-ring by stretching it and ruining it. But in reverse the Sea&Sea grease (yellow tube with blue cap) did not harm the Canon O-ring.

Another example; I once used generic dive shop silicon grease on an Olympus camera O-ring and it broke down the material by stretching the O-ring rendering it useless.

This website lists the housing brands that the Sea & Sea grease (yellow tube with blue top) is safe for. Ikelite is not on the list:

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-sea-amp-sea-o-ring-grease.htm

QUOTE from the site:
"This Sea & Sea fluorosilicone grease is the preferred lubricant for silicone o-rings in underwater cameras, housings and strobes. Suitable for Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sea & Sea and Sony underwater camera housing o-rings."

That's bad news for me...

TODO before my next dive: buy Ikelite lube...

Better you just buy some Tribolube 71 or Christolube. These are both good on all kinds of o-rings.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom