Graphene wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard Dayan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

Anyone have any experience with this?

I bought one but it didn't fit and gave it to a relative. I forgot about it but now the new Bare reactive has it. Does it make a difference or is it a gimmick.

First read about graphene as a replacement for silicon in making computer chips from MIT's technology review journal. It never panned out apparently.

What did your relative have to say? People like @cerich stay on top of cutting edge materials. Maybe he has some insight.

First read about graphene as a replacement for silicon in making computer chips from MIT's technology review journal. It never panned out apparently.

What did your relative have to say? People like @cerich stay on top of cutting edge materials. Maybe he has some insight.

The MBA in me appreciates the marketing spin, the ethical person in me groans at the industry once again.

He said it was a good wetsuit but he said that about a cheap one I gave him also.

Bare's marketing department is a frickin' dumpster fire.

A good conductor is the opposite of a good insulator. To stay warm, wetsuits need to be a good insulator. And yet the Bare marketing department is shouting to the Heavens about how warm the Reactive suit is because it uses graphene and graphene is a great thermal conductor.

Fortunately, I think the graphene in the Reactive suit is truly ONLY a marketing thing. I don't think it makes any difference one way or the other in the suits.

I have a 3mm Reactive and also had a 5mm Reactive. And I have ScubaPro EverFlex 3/2, 5/4, and 7/5, and Waterproof W7 5mm. And a few other suits.

The graphene thing is just baloney. But, the Bare OmniRed lining could possibly be onto something.

I don't have any data to report. But, anecdotally, I feel like my Reactive suits have been the warmest suits I have used, in their respective thicknesses.

I have pretty much switched to my Waterproof W7 5mm for all my non-drysuit diving. But, that is because my shop sells Waterproof, the W7 has thigh pockets, and it is pretty close to as warm as the Reactive. That is also the reason I sold my Reactive 5mm - I no longer was using it.

For pure warmth, and whatever the "science" or "technology" behind it, the Reactive suits do seem to be the warmest suits I have tried.

If the Reactive 5mm had pockets like the W7 does, I'd be diving a Reactive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom