Grand Turk- Island House and Oasis Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone!

My husband and I got a great deal on a flight to Grand Turk in October- it wasn't until after we bought it that we realised Oct is hurricane season! Ah well, no worries!

Accomodation-wise, we are wondering if everyone loves the Island House. It got good reviews on TripAdvisor; it's very attractive that they pick you up at the airport and supply you with some sort of transportation, as well as have rooms with kitchens! Anyone have any feedback on the Island House?

Also, if you stay at the Island House, do they have a diving contract with Oasis? On their website it looks like diving is added to the price of the room. I've read mixed reviews about Oasis, but favorable for the most part! Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've read a few posts recommending Blue Water divers, which seems to be the DO for Bahio Resort, and from the reports I've read it seems their dive boat is often out of order.

I read EZdiver's dive report in which he said he brought food in his suitcase from the states. Has anyone else done that? Does that create a problem with the weight restrictions on the inter-island flights if you are bringing all your scuba gear and stuff as well?

Thanks so much :D
Pamela

We stayed at Island House and dived with Oasis. You're not on the beach, but Colin at Island House provides everyone with a truck to drive.
He is a world-class host. Dale at Oasis can help coordinate any details or answer any questions you have.
Spirit flies direct now to GT. Take your own food since Island House has great efficiencies and pay the extra freight charges. There's lots of markets on GT - the truck really helps there.
I take my own gear anywhere I go. I always get takne in the bowels of every airport and uh, thoroughly searched because I guess they can't figure out what's in my dive kit. It's kinda cool seeing the security rooms at airports though, and they always get me to the gate on time.
Have fun.

It has been several years since we stayed at Island house, but the reports seem to remain consistant with our experience. Island House is a great place to stay, very clean and comfortable. Even though they are not on the beach, they are located on a hill and you get great sunset views. Having a vehicle (we got a little ranger truck) was fantastic. You'll only burn 4 or five gals of gas during the week but are free to go anywhere on this small island. Pick any beach or restaurant, you are only a few minutes away.

I don't know if I'd go to the extent of packing in food, we got the basics there and mainly made breakfast. Eleanor and I are too lazy to cook much on vacation. I would however bring in a couple bottles of booze if you are flying through a duty free area.

On the other hand eating out here is a little pricy so if you want to save bread, or simply want to hang out at Island house, I guess it may be worth the effort. The place is well set for cooking at home. The kitchens were fairly well stocked with kitchenware and there are a couple nice outside grills.

Oasis Divers was great and while the dive operations here are all similar, I'd recomend them. I'm not sure that Island House has a contract with Oasis. I'd e-mail either Dale at Oasis, or Colin at Island House. I believe that they both will provide you with truthful assitance

Clyderyde

Oasis tends to get real busy with the Pod people, but they are great to dive with and have the biggest operation. Of course Blue Water Divers and Sea Eye are also both good dive shops, I've dove with all of them in the past. Don't hesitate to use any of them.

Mike

We stayed at Island House and dove with Oasis back when Island House first opened (mid 1990s). We enjoyed it thoroughly. Colin is a first class host and, at least at the time, the folks at Oasis were thoughtful and helpful DMs. Can't vouch for how things run today, but I suspect that Island House remains a great place to stay.

Thanks everyone!

I went ahead and booked the trip this morning.

WOO WOO!
Pamela

Just saw your post -

Stayed at Island House in Feb. '05, and overall, it was OK. Colin is a fine and accommodating host, and the facilities are well-kept and clean. HOWEVER - right outside our bedroom window was a construction project, with crews going from 6am to around 7pm - extremely LOUD, totally DISRUPTIVE and construction dust EVERYWHERE. So windows closed too, too much. My better half was so distressed we ended up leaving Island House mid-week for other accommodations. Not exactly the carefree R&R we'd envisioned. Oasis Divers was fine. Dale's great - arranged for a beach pickup for us at new hotel without even being asked.

My advice would be to confirm with Colin the status of any construction. Probably nothing happening, but the way GT's going, eminently possible.

Checking on construction is something I would strongly recommend to anyone, particularly with the hurricane damage that's hit the islands over the last few years. As of last December, Grand Cayman was still a construction zone, and while we didn't have (much) construction going on near our resort, the constant back and forth of dump trunks all day and well into the evening (those guys just LOVE those air breaks) didn't do much to enhance the treasured "getaway feeling."

So, to the world in general - ALWAYS ASK IF THERE'S ANY CONSTRUCTION WORK BEING DONE, and be very specific - where exactly (sounds obvious enough, but I was once assured there was no construction work being done, which was true enough. for that resort. what they failed to mention was the construction going on right next door. so caveat emptor.), what kind of work, how extensive, what are activity hours, when is likely completion, etc. Then follow up at some point prior to the back out without penalty date. It can save you a lot of potential grief.

We stayed at Island House in March of '06 and there was no construction in sight (or sound). They do have a relationship with Dale and there were no hangups whatsoever (Dale arranged the entire thing for both diving and hotel). My only complaint about Island House was the mice. We were in a bottom floor room and bought some food at the local store. We were awoken in the middle of the night to the sound of mice in the kitchen trying to get into the potato chips. Next day we saw one running under the door in/out of the room as we sat on the bed watching TV. After that we kept a towel along the base of the door hoping it would keep the mouse out. It could have just been one mouse since we never saw more than that, and they do have a cat at Island House. Maybe he just hadn't done his thing yet!

Not sure about the Island House and the construction, we didn't get a chance to check it out while we were there a few weeks ago. I don't know if any of the hotels actually have a "contract" with any of the local dive shops, but I could be wrong. I think most of the islands use Oasis since they have about 4 times more boats than anyone else on the island. I think you will be pleased with any of the dive shops you choose since the diving is literally no more than a 5-10 min boat ride and every dive shop will pick you up at any of the hotel beach areas. I guess my only concern with Oasis would be the "cattle" boats they have when the cruise ships are in. They have the most boats, but also the biggest boats on the island, which means more divers per boat. If you want smaller boats and fewer divers, a call to Blue Water or Bohio (they have their own boat and dive shop) wouldn't be wasted.

As far as the weight goes, my girlfriend and I carried ALL our scuba equipment and food with us and yes, we did have some weight issues. Make sure your check-in bags (for US Air, American, etc) are no more than 50lbs each or they will charge you something like $50-$75 more. We put our clothes, fins and food into our big check-in bags and our BC's, regs, computers into our wheeled carry on bags. Airlines also let you carry on a backpack or small duffle bag along with a wheeled carry-on. I am pretty sure that our carry on bags weighed around 50lbs as well!

I think we paid a total of $50 each way as a weight penalty for our bags from Provo to Grand Turk. But, we were there for 4 days and 4 nights and the $100 that we paid in the weight fee was about the same cost as 1-2 meals on the island. If you are eating at any of the hotels, you will spend $20-$50 per person, per meal. That adds up fast for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So..yes it will cost you some money in weight charges, but if you are staying for 4+ days, I think it more than pays for itself.

Have a blast! We are wishing we were back there every day!

Cheers!
EZ Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom