Grand/Little Cayman: possible to dive relatively shallow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone-

In a few weeks my wife and I will be visiting both Little and Grand Cayman islands. She has an occasional sinus squeeze that we're still sorting out with ENTs, but she is clear to dive. However, deeper dives tend to be where she encounters the squeeze most often. (Strange, I know, since squeezes aren't usually depth dependent.)

So, I wanted to ask if there is sort of an "average" depth for most Cayman dives, and whether we can get away with staying above 60 feet most of the time. She can go deeper if the squeeze doesn't happen, but depth information may be somewhat useful to talk to the ENT about before we leave for the trip.

Thanks as always.

Little Cayman diving is mostly steep wall down to very deep, there is no reason to go deeper than 60 feet since there is nothing worth diving to below that depth.

Thank you for the replies. Is the situation similar on Grand Cayman?

There is plenty of diving in gc 60' or less.

Thank you for the replies. Is the situation similar on Grand Cayman?

There maybe a wreck or a reef worth going to at around 100', but 60' or shallower is good enough as far as I can remember.

As the others have said, Cayman has fabulous 'shallow' dives less than 60 feet. I rather enjoy the second dive more than the first. The OP's I've used always do the standard deep first and shallow second as it seems that is what the customers want and Cayman is known for the wall. I'd like to find an Op the would do two shallow dives once in a while.

As the others have said, Cayman has fabulous 'shallow' dives less than 60 feet. I rather enjoy the second dive more than the first. The OP's I've used always do the standard deep first and shallow second as it seems that is what the customers want and Cayman is known for the wall. I'd like to find an Op the would do two shallow dives once in a while.

I experienced that on a recent trip to Cozumel. The same customers were on the boat every day, and a few of the days we did double shallow (like Paradise reef). It was pretty neat. Crazy bottom time and so much to see.

There are a number of terrific shore dives on Grand Cayman. Sunset House, eden roc, devils grotto, are south of Georgetown and maccabuca is to the north next to the turtle farm. All rent tanks on site and are easy, ladder entries. There’s a lot to see at 30 feet and the first drop off is about 50 feet.

There are a number of terrific shore dives on Grand Cayman. Sunset House, eden roc, devils grotto, are south of Georgetown and maccabuca is to the north next to the turtle farm. All rent tanks on site and are easy, ladder entries. There’s a lot to see at 30 feet and the first drop off is about 50 feet.

I should have mentioned that on GC we’re diving with Ocean Frontiers on the east end. I’m hoping that even if a dive is a deep one that we can still hang out shallower and have good dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom