Question Grand Caymen in winter for Fit Senior Couple who just reactivated PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LT63

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I are going diving on Grand Caymen with our 23 yr old daughter. She is recently certified but he and I have not been diving in 20 years. We took the PADI REACTIVATE course online and did pool time. It was like riding a bike except the technology and gear have changed! We are staying at Rum Point so basically will have a drive no matter where we dive. I am nervous about the East End due to rougher seas in December. I have developed bad motion sickness as I've aged. UGH!!! I actually have to take 1/2 a Dramamine to comfortably due my lap swimming in a pool. We dove the North Wall years ago down about 120 ft so I have no need to do that anymore! Just want a leisurely couple of dives. Spoke with Living the Dream Dive shop but they are all booked for holiday dates we will be there. Ocean Frontiers said we can all do a refresher in pool and then a shallow dive but all of there dives are on the East End and it will be rough. Red Sails will do similar and said from Rum Point their Morrits Dock would be best but that is also East. Our daughter will be fine with those dives. Her last dive 3 years ago was a wreck dive in Australia. We will let her book something more adventurous on her own. Any advice? I am sure this type of question is covered somewhere. I am new to the boards so figuring it all out. I will check out past posts for motion sickness advice!!

Hi @LT63

I have dived with Ocean Frontiers during the winter. Most of our dives were around the south side rather than on the north side. The surface conditions were just fine. One of the advantage of of the east end is the ability to go north or south, depending on the prevailing conditions.

I have recently taken a few of my dive-certified visitors (we're all seniors) who haven't dived for several years to Red Sail at their SMB location. Red Sail does a great job with the refresher pool session followed by a shallow boat dive off the west side which is usually calm. But you would need to drive about an hour. But if you were thinking of visiting the SMB area anyway it might be worth the drive. There is usually a couple of hour break between the pool session and the dive, so time to grab lunch in the area.

I have recently taken a few of my dive-certified visitors (we're all seniors) who haven't dived for several years to Red Sail at their SMB location. Red Sail does a great job with the refresher pool session followed by a shallow boat dive off the west side which is usually calm. But you would need to drive about an hour. But if you were thinking of visiting the SMB area anyway it might be worth the drive. There is usually a couple of hour break between the pool session and the dive, so time to grab lunch in the area.
Thanks mi000ke! I've been dealing with Red Sails/Tortuga Divers. They are on the East End leave from Morrit's. We signed up for the refresher course and shallow dive there, and another 2-tank dive later in the week. I am not sure how my husband feels about the 2-tank! We don't mind the driving part. Do you have the location you booked with?

The east end is not automatically rough, at least not the diving part. From east end they may go around to north or south depending on conditions.
What is the objection to a 2 tank?
If you feel better about the west end maybe you can find someone that does an afternoon single tank dive, or just stick with Red Sail use their west end spot and be done with it.
Just be aware that traffic can be pretty bad on Grand Cayman, much more so than you might expect. You may not mind driving but it’s not only about distance. If you are scheduling something for the morning allow plenty of time. Driving from Rum Point to Morritt’s you won’t run into traffic, maybe crabs crossing the road. Rum Point to Georgetown or anything further along the west coast can be a problem.

Thanks mi000ke! I've been dealing with Red Sails/Tortuga Divers. They are on the East End leave from Morrit's. We signed up for the refresher course and shallow dive there, and another 2-tank dive later in the week. I am not sure how my husband feels about the 2-tank! We don't mind the driving part. Do you have the location you booked with?
They operate out of the Westin and also next to the Kimpton. Their toll free number is (877) 506-6368.

The east end is not automatically rough, at least not the diving part. From east end they may go around to north or south depending on conditions.
What is the objection to a 2 tank?
If you feel better about the west end maybe you can find someone that does an afternoon single tank dive, or just stick with Red Sail use their west end spot and be done with it.
Just be aware that traffic can be pretty bad on Grand Cayman, much more so than you might expect. You may not mind driving but it’s not only about distance. If you are scheduling something for the morning allow plenty of time. Driving from Rum Point to Morritt’s you won’t run into traffic, maybe crabs crossing the road. Rum Point to Georgetown or anything further along the west coast can be a problem.
I'm not worried about the diving being rough, but the boat ride. As I mentioned, I have developed bad motion sickness. Never had it when I was young. As for 2-tank, my hub isn't totally against it, just not sure. I think after he does the shallow refresher dive he might have a better idea if he wants to do it. We've been to GC many moons ago and it was busy on the West End even then. I have heard about the travel times. That is why I went ahead and booked with the Tortuga Divers through Red Sails at the Morrits Tortuga Club. Thanks for you comments.

They operate out of the Westin and also next to the Kimpton. Their toll free number is (877) 506-6368.
Thanks!! I did book with Tortuga Divers/Red Sails at the Morrits Tortuga Club on the other side but might contact Westin or Kimpton site if we decide to do a dive on that side too. Thanks for you input!

Back
Top Bottom