Grand Cayman wreck diving from shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerrycsr

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible to dive any of the wrecks on Grand Cayman from the shore?

I swam out to the Oro Verde once. That was a bit much. But I understand the Balboa and the Kali (phonetic spelling) are fairly close to shore.

The Cali is quite close to shore. It is just out from the Wreck Bar slightly north of Georgetown. It is near the Lobster Pot restaurant and there is a Bob Soto's dive shop in the area too. Check with them for exact directions.

There is a small landing craft off of Sunset House near the statute of the mermaid, Amphirtite. It is the wreck of the L.C. David Nicholson.

Thanks for the info, Drew. Isn't the site of the Cali a swim's distance from Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto? Am I remembering that spot right?

If it is, can I dive Eden Rock and then swim over to the Cali wreck, or do I need some sort of permission?

The Calli is very close to shore and very accessible from quite a few places in Georgetown. You might want to plan that dive for when the cruise ships are not in dock as they herd snorkel trips to that spot. The Balboa is located in the cruise ship anchoring area so not very doable. We very occassionally do the Balboa as a boat night dive when our divers request it... when we do, we need to ask permission from Port Authority.
If the Oro Verde swim didn't daunt you, there is another wreck on the West Side called the Doc Polson. Almost a straight swim out from Cemetary Reef and not quite as far out as the Oro Verde. An 80 ft. intact freighter sitting at 50 ft. Lots of nice soft coral growth, large fish hanging out and cool little stuff. There can be lots of boat traffic so don't forget a flag.

You cannot get to the wreck of the Cali from Eden Rock, it is on the other side of the Harbour. It is almost straight out from Rackhams Bar on the waterfront in Georgetown.
I don't know whether you are familiar with this wreck or not? If not then don't get your hopes up too much as it sits between 30 and 15ft of water and is more commonly used as a snorkel spot for cruiseship passengers. There are usually a few Tarpon hanging out on the wreck and lots of Yellowtail snappers, Bermuda chub and Seargent Majors waiting to be fed: don't be surprised if they give you a nibble when you don't feed them!

Other than that there is the David Nicolson off Sunset house (as mentioned by Drew Sailbum) or the Doc Polson (quite a swim!).

CJ

Swim from Eden Rock to the Cali is not advisable and longer than you might think. This would cross the path of all of the cruise ship tenders. High boat traffic area where ascending could be a major problem.

Casey got it right about the Balboa. I'd suggest no shore diving there even if there are no cruise ships in port. Let Port Authority control that area, not you and a dive flag. The Balboa is commonly done as a night dive, but every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday all summer there are no cruise ships in port. Those days some of the operators get permission to dive th Balboa.

We were just there. There are better dives than right in the busy harbor. If I did, I would probably prefer a night dive on the Balboa anyway. More to see.

I was a bit let down with the Eden Rock area. Neat... but for my tastes, I would find another shore dive spot.

WE did the Balboa on a night dive and was OK. Just a few big broken up pieces. I agree with the others, there is ususally too much going on in the harbor to try and swim out during the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom