Grand Cayman vs TCI vs St Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaeger62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would like to take a week trip to one of the above. We will be able to fly free with points from DFW.

Looking for the best diving of the 3 but also a good island for a non diving wife for us to have things to do after I dive. We are not big night life types and my wife is happy to hang out at beaches and seeing great scenery.

St. Thomas/St. John looks like amazing scenery/beaches... but not sure how great the diving is.

Grand Cayman sounds great, but possibly over run with cruise ships?

How is the safety these days at TCI?

Turks & Caicos (well, Provo) has a rep. for often long boat trips to/from the dive sites, and being expensive topside. I went there via live-aboard. The top of the wall started deep. If 'after the dive day' actives with wife are a big deal, I suspect this is not your destination.

If you're concerned about the impact of cruisers on Grand Cayman, be mindful St. Thomas is a very popular cruise ship stop. Grand Cayman is a popular 'dive destination,' but when I see St. Thomas discussed, seems like it's usually in the context of people on cruises doing a dive excursion the day they stop there. I've done 4 dives in St. Thomas that way, with Admiralty Dive Center, and was quite happy with them.

Be mindful popular cruise destinations often have a range of good topside excursion options. I've visited 'Coral World' in St. Thomas, and it was neat.

Only visited St. John on an excursion out of St. Thomas on a cruise stop once, and didn't dive. St. John has a reputation for good snorkeling but isn't usually regarded as a dive destination from what I understand. We took a ferry over from St. Thomas; if you visit St. Thomas, you can ferry over to check it out and say you've been.

Grand Cayman is popular for both boat and shore diving (but reputedly not much solo diving support, so if you're alone, be aware). With the non-diver and interest in topside activities, I assume you'd be staying in the Georgetown area at the west end, in the 7 Mile Beach region.

Judging off several dives in Grand Cayman and 4 in St. Thomas, take it for what it's worth, the viz. was better in Grand Cayman, but I enjoyed both.

When I wanted a dive trip to a U.S. Virgin Island, I picked St. Croix -
St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

My wife and I have done GC (7MB) twice and neither time did we feel it was overrun due to cruise ships. First trip both of us were diving, second trip just myself since we now had a toddler tagging along.

You can always check the schedule to see how many ships are docking for different weeks though.

I've not dived the others you've listed but I have really enjoyed the GC diving I've done and hope to return for a third trip.

We researched provo once and two things convinced us to go back to GC; the grace bay prices were shockingly higher than even 7MB and the long boat rides meant not returning until close to 3pm vs noon.

I have heard good stuff about diving there though.

The cruise ship guests are not along the same beach areas as stay over guests in Grand Cayman. GT can get busy but nothing like Charlotte Amelie which I swore I would never return to.

I've been to Grand Cayman many times, did T&C once from land. Grace Bay on T&C is very nice, but you won't be back from 2 tank trips to West Caicos or French Cay until late afternoon. Grand Cayman is the choice. Stay at a good hotel on 7MB beach and your wife will be happy. The Westin is very nice. Any operator will pick you up for diving, I like Wall to Wall, DNS. So ;many good operators.

I should clarify that my wife is very happy with activities that include just hanging out on a beach and snorkeling. We are not "shoppers" or bar hoppers. We like to get out and explore and would likely have a rental car.

Would GC have some nice places to see and snorkeling spots with a car?

I will dive Grand Turk on a cruise in January with Oasis Dive Shop, so can probably check that off for now.

We are also stopping at St Thomas and we are planning to go over to Trunk Bay on our own to snorkel, then return to St Thomas.

Sounds like GC would be a good option and also check off another great place to visit off our list. Probably the way to go if neither TCI or St Thomas blows it away for diving.

Edit - The late returns from TCI dives is pretty much a deal breaker. I at least like to spend the afternoons with my wife

Yes, GC has quieter areas to relax and snorkel, what is your ballpark budget and how much diving do you want to do?

Yes, GC has quieter areas to relax and snorkel, what is your ballpark budget and how much diving do you want to do?

I was looking at Living The Dream dive shop... pretty good rates for 4 days of 2 tank dives. I'd probably do that and throw in a night dive.

We saw quite a few good looking Air BnBs for under $100/night. We generally don't go overboard on lodging as we spend most of our time out and about.

I was looking at Living The Dream dive shop... pretty good rates for 4 days of 2 tank dives. I'd probably do that and throw in a night dive.

We saw quite a few good looking Air BnBs for under $100/night. We generally don't go overboard on lodging as we spend most of our time out and about.

Living the Dream is a popular dive op, I haven't dived with them but they have a good reputation. LTD is located in the central Seven Mile Beach area - and there are also several other dive ops that service that area.

The most convenient dive op will vary with the side of the island where you plan to stay. Most of the 7MB dive ops will either pick you up by boat or van - or you can meet them at the boat.

The snorkeling isn't the best in the 7MB area, but there are free public beaches available. There is good snorkeling available from shore, most of them not by 7MB but you will have a car, see Testudo's guide at the link below:
TESTUDO'S SNORKEL GUIDE Cayman Off the Beaten Path

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom