Grand Cayman vs Little Cayman vs Provo for mixed group?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you all want to relax but have beaches near by and cook I'd suggest St Croix and Northside Valley | St. Croix Eco-Villas. We have been a couple of times. Very quiet there. There is a beach in walking distance but some others close by via car. We have used Cane Bay Dive Shop St Croix to do both shore and boat dives.

+1 for St Croix; another favorite of mine. They have good shore diving and a diverse topside experience if you choose to venture out, but also plenty of remote areas and very laid back. I didn't mention St Croix previously because the beaches are not like those in the BWI, and neither is the marine life IMHO. Renting a car is almost mandatory as well, but definitely a great destination.

St Croix.jpg

But don't want a crappy unswimmable beach either.. we went to Cozumel this year, there are a couple of condo complexes in the south that have beaches but diving wise I wasn't blown away. The topography was great but I found the marine life lacking. Cozumel however seems like a place we'll return to because it's such an amazing value, so the idea with this trip is to go somewhere we otherwise wouldn't go because it would be too expensive compared to something like coz.

I've been following your thread to learn more about the destinations you're interested in, and because I find comparison discussions betwixt dive destinations interesting. Got a few observations:

1.) A number of people post asking for multi-factor dive destinations; not too expensive, very good+ diving, nice beach (and sometimes land entertainment) for non-diving group mates, etc... The old saying 'Jack of all trades, master of none,' comes to mind.

2.) If you want great diving, and Cozumel didn't impress you, that alone would cut down Caribbean destination options by a good bit. Coz. has a rep. for some decent sized sea life. I did 2 dives there; Palancar Gardens wasn't real impressive, but at Santa Rosa a large eagle ray swam right under us, close, and a large black grouper swam up about arm's length from me & followed us (obviously has been fed before), and it was a sweet dive (even though I didn't see a huge green moray some others did; I think that was on this dive).

3.) Even good diving near nice sandy beaches with good swimming conditions narrows things down, too. And if you don't want the beach 'too built up,' the question becomes why has a nice, tropical Caribbean beach not too expensive to travel to and stay near not attracted a lot of people & development? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the question is valid.

Let me lay out some of your values, and perhaps you re-order them by priority.

1.) Diving better than Cozumel, with large, plentiful marine creatures; not a small creature guy (you mentioned Bonaire wasn't of interest).

2.) Group of around 10 - 12, with only you & wife diving, cooking own meals & not needing restaurants or much shopping, evidently not needing a touristy place since quiet is okay, with desired activity suggestions including biking, kayaking, swimming, snorkeling, reading a book, cooking, drinking, eating. Do need a decent grocery store.

3.) Good beach & swimming conditions. But not a big, crowded beach; needs to be 'quiet.' And to rent a big house or condo. on that beach!

4.) Your party doesn't want to pay for enough rental cars to travel as a group, so you plan to do most things within walking or bicycling (if an option) distance of home base, except your diving.

5.) All this has to be on some budget, which BDSC asked about, and you're hoping traveling as a group renting a 'big house,' cooking in & not renting a bunch of cars will make it affordable. But what budget are we talking about? I can already tell some really exotic destinations outside the Caribbean would be out. Ignoring airfare since everyone pays their own, I assume, what price range are you looking at for housing? I'd add food and on-island transportation, but I don't how that's going to be for so many people.

How long is this trip to be? A week? 10 Days? 2 Weeks?

When I ask you to prioritize, what I'm really asking you to do is let us know where you're willing to compromise (and where not).

Richard.

I've been following your thread to learn more about the destinations you're interested in, and because I find comparison discussions betwixt dive destinations interesting. Got a few observations:

1.) A number of people post asking for multi-factor dive destinations; not too expensive, very good+ diving, nice beach (and sometimes land entertainment) for non-diving group mates, etc... The old saying 'Jack of all trades, master of none,' comes to mind.

2.) If you want great diving, and Cozumel didn't impress you, that alone would cut down Caribbean destination options by a good bit. Coz. has a rep. for some decent sized sea life. I did 2 dives there; Palancar Gardens wasn't real impressive, but at Santa Rosa a large eagle ray swam right under us, close, and a large black grouper swam up about arm's length from me & followed us (obviously has been fed before), and it was a sweet dive (even though I didn't see a huge green moray some others did; I think that was on this dive).

3.) Even good diving near nice sandy beaches with good swimming conditions narrows things down, too. And if you don't want the beach 'too built up,' the question becomes why has a nice, tropical Caribbean beach not too expensive to travel to and stay near not attracted a lot of people & development? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the question is valid.

Let me lay out some of your values, and perhaps you re-order them by priority.

1.) Diving better than Cozumel, with large, plentiful marine creatures; not a small creature guy (you mentioned Bonaire wasn't of interest).

2.) Group of around 10 - 12, with only you & wife diving, cooking own meals & not needing restaurants or much shopping, evidently not needing a touristy place since quiet is okay, with desired activity suggestions including biking, kayaking, swimming, snorkeling, reading a book, cooking, drinking, eating. Do need a decent grocery store.

3.) Good beach & swimming conditions. But not a big, crowded beach; needs to be 'quiet.' And to rent a big house or condo. on that beach!

4.) Your party doesn't want to pay for enough rental cars to travel as a group, so you plan to do most things within walking or bicycling (if an option) distance of home base, except your diving.

5.) All this has to be on some budget, which BDSC asked about, and you're hoping traveling as a group renting a 'big house,' cooking in & not renting a bunch of cars will make it affordable. But what budget are we talking about? I can already tell some really exotic destinations outside the Caribbean would be out. Ignoring airfare since everyone pays their own, I assume, what price range are you looking at for housing? I'd add food and on-island transportation, but I don't how that's going to be for so many people.

How long is this trip to be? A week? 10 Days? 2 Weeks?

When I ask you to prioritize, what I'm really asking you to do is let us know where you're willing to compromise (and where not).

Richard.

you got everything right, i liked cozumel, i loved the price, but i only liked the diving. i loved the couple of dives i did in playa del carmen (cenotes, bull sharks). in cozumel i liked the pinnacles of coral, the swim throughs on santa rosa, the odd eagle ray or nurse shark.. but there wasn't exactly a lot of marine life, you had to look for it. i guess i just expected it to be more fishy. i would prioritize #1, because for me if there isn't diving at least better than cozumel i can't be bothered going. and #3 because if there isn't a nice beach and good swimming and a house on the beach then no one else in the group will want to go either. rental cars are fine, for instance if we stayed near rum point on grand cayman, the extra airfare we would have paid to go to little cayman would simply go towards rental cars and gas on GC. ideally looking for a house for 10 for $4000/week. budget has to accommodate the lowest common denominator

Some folks better traveled in the Caribbean than I can help you more with finding a dive destination that has more and larger animals than Cozumel. I believe one of Cozumel's 'selling points' vs. Bonaire and Roatan is that Cozumel has more big stuff (aside from Bonaire's tarpon, and the occasional big green moray, rainbow parrotfish or fairly large great barracuda, or the shark dive some people on go in Roatan). Shark dives in the Bahamas perhaps?

Have you guys sized up any options in southern Florida? If today I suddenly needed to quickly arrange a dive trip to go see something big, I'd consider Jupiter or West Palm Beach, where I'm told sharks, goliath grouper and sea turtles may be seen.

Do you have any idea what big, plentiful marine creatures you want to see diving? Sharks are likely in a minority of destinations. Dolphin are unlikely most places. Whales, not likely. In Key Largo I saw a number of big barracuda and goliath grouper (g.g.'s on deep wrecks), a few reef sharks & a few nurse sharks, but it was definitely not a 'beach' destination.

Richard.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2014 at 09:53 PM ----------

Here's a thread on Palm Beach Country vs. the Keys; read down through some descriptions of Jupiter and West Palm/Palm Beach diving. Sounds like plenty and big at Jupiter...

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom