Grand Cayman June 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insta-Gator

☀️ Endless Summer 🌤
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not much on writing reports. Most of the time I can't remember which dive was on which day, but ...

Sunset House and Eden Rock are the old reliables. I know they've been dove to death but given the number of divers through there, the reef is in pretty good condition. Not as many fish as we've seen in years past. There was one day when the fish were plentiful; it was a early morning dive and the current had not kicked up yet. (these sites are pretty well protected from current.)

Turtle Reef - I just love this place. It's such an easy dive most of the time. Current was quite strong if you got more than 15 yards away from the mini wall. On one dive I had ventured out to see the outer side of a coral head and got caught in the current. Swimming as hard as I could I was still losing ground, so I veered back toward the wall and it was eventually calm. That didn't help my gas consumption any :mad: But it's a great place to hang out after the dive too. Darlene at Sundivers was great.

Lighthouse - undiveable this week due to strong current. Since the wall is so close to shore there's no protection from a north-south current, which was pretty strong this week.

Cobalt Coast is one of my favorite dive sites. Everything is so beautiful and undamaged. They told us October is a better month there if you don't like the current or the waves crashing on you as you're trying to climb up the ladder to the peer. I'm sure my male dive partner and I could have done more dives there but the ladies weren't up to working that hard.

The dive boat from Cobalt radioed in that they saw three hammerhead at Tarpon Ally.

Smiths Cove - we went there to check out the conditions. Decided not to dive it.

Spotts Cove - beach is gone and the entry is fenced off. Read in the Cayman paper that a Chinese company has been selected to build and/or improve cruise ship docking at Georgetown and Spotts Cove.

There were the usual sponges and corals everywhere and the typical small fish. It did seem that everywhere we went there were two or more barracuda following us around. Based on their friendliness (they would come in close and just hang with you) I suspect some dumb divers have been feeding them.

Expensive - The Cayman Islands have always been expensive, but this time seemed excessive. Gas was $CI 5.88 per gallon (that's about $7.00/gal US.)
Boat dives to the Kittiwake were $100.00 single tank per person. We decided to pass. We'll see her after there's some growth.

Ok, so much for my semi-report.

Here's my first attempt at underwater photography. The pics get better toward the end. :D
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom