Grand Cayman in October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveLaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know the Caymans are not open now but wife is hoping by October it will be and wants to book a nice ocean front room she found just in case they are open and we can go. I am not worried about getting our money back if we do not go because they will. I am just wondering how the weather is there at that time. Even though its really not a dive trip, I WILL dive at least 3 mornings we are there! Thanks!

Weather is weather, so don't hold me to this....

In my 5 years here, (in a normal world) September is the month to come to Cayman. The ocean is typically glass flat, excellent vis and no currents. There are very slight breezes, but it's not too hot. In addition, the island has far less people here. Some of the restaurants will close up shop for the month, but usually this is just the small ones. It is hands down my favorite time of year here.

October is normally when the weather turns, and we get the steady northeasterly winds. While West Bay is still nice, it's not the amazing tranquilness you get in September.

Now last year, only the first 2 weeks of September had these these conditions and then were hammered with late year tropical storms. Only one came close to us, but we didn't have our normal month of glass, as we call it. In fact we had an article in our blog queue called "September is the time." We never published it due to COVID. According to a long-term hurricane forecast I just read, it predicted an above average hurricane season, but it did show the Western Caribbean and Greater Antilles would be below average.

However...... weather. No guarantees. But if I were a betting man, I'd come in September.

That said, make sure you have your COVID vaccine now, or get it soon. Nothing is cast in stone, but having attended many meetings between CITA and Cayman Government, I can all but assure you that non-vaccinated travelers will not be coming back before 2022.

Tony

Tony is spot on. Things here in September are always so quiet that our condo building stops rentals for the month so we can do repairs and maintenance. We usually come down for a week or so at the end of October/early November each year. Looked at my dive log, and for what it's worth, for the 20 or so dive days I've done in total during October the past few years, the water was mid 80s, the air was mid to high 80s, the vis was 80 to 100, all the days were sunny, and about 25% were windy but we still went out. Then again, you are at the tail end of hurricane season, so anything can happen.

Weather is weather, so don't hold me to this....

In my 5 years here, (in a normal world) September is the month to come to Cayman. The ocean is typically glass flat, excellent vis and no currents. There are very slight breezes, but it's not too hot. In addition, the island has far less people here. Some of the restaurants will close up shop for the month, but usually this is just the small ones. It is hands down my favorite time of year here.

October is normally when the weather turns, and we get the steady northeasterly winds. While West Bay is still nice, it's not the amazing tranquilness you get in September.

Now last year, only the first 2 weeks of September had these these conditions and then were hammered with late year tropical storms. Only one came close to us, but we didn't have our normal month of glass, as we call it. In fact we had an article in our blog queue called "September is the time." We never published it due to COVID. According to a long-term hurricane forecast I just read, it predicted an above average hurricane season, but it did show the Western Caribbean and Greater Antilles would be below average.

However...... weather. No guarantees. But if I were a betting man, I'd come in September.

That said, make sure you have your COVID vaccine now, or get it soon. Nothing is cast in stone, but having attended many meetings between CITA and Cayman Government, I can all but assure you that non-vaccinated travelers will not be coming back before 2022.

Tony

Shhhh! Let’s keep it our secret

You might want to wait for the season long outlook from the national hurricane center. No where near 100%, but they frequently get the over/under and early/late fairly close. At any rate get trip insurance, the Caribbean has a hurricane season for a reason.

Should have read Tony's post more thoroughly:oops:

Thanks for all the advise, appreciate it! We had a week trip planned for last May but it was cancelled due to covid. We are really looking forward to getting out there!

You might want to wait for the season long outlook from the national hurricane center. No where near 100%, but they frequently get the over/under and early/late fairly close. At any rate get trip insurance, the Caribbean has a hurricane season for a reason.

Should have read Tony's post more thoroughly:oops:

When does that report come out?

Screenshot_20210317-130816.png
Should be out according to the post above. I thought it was usually April but maybe it's early March

I had to look for it, but this was posted by Crown Weather Services, and reposted by Mike's Weather Page. One of the big indicators for us here will be water temp. Every time we've had an above average season in Cayman, we've had really warm waters.

Keep in mind it's not NOAA. Crown Weather Services appears to be an amateur meteorologist, but sometimes these guys seem to nail it.

158100031_5776412105709666_1277081147892809808_o.jpg

More importantly, how is the vaccination program going? I guess that we won't know much about entry requirements until after the election.

I was there in Oct 2019 and the seas were flat and the viz was superb. Water temp was 87 on average.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom