Grand Cayman in late December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopez116

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am traveling to Grand Cayman at the end of December and was wondering what thermal protection I (and my wife) will need. I tend not to get cold very easily and am debating on whether to but a 0.5mm or 1mm full suit or one of those Lava Core skins.

In summer (early August) I wore board shorts only and was fine. My wife would get cold toward the end of the dive, however.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Several years ago I dove GC in mid December while on a cruise. I don't tend to get to cold easily and wore just a "tech-Type" athletic shirt more so for skin protection from BC. The water was a little chillier than I expected but did two dives and was fine. If you or wife tend to get chilled easily you should use at least a 1 to 1.5 mm, can't hurt, you won't get over heated.

If you are going to do multiple dives in a day a full 3mm would be more appropriate. We had a number of people on our boat that used no wetsuit. Some of them did not do the second dive. One lady had goose bumps the size of marbles.

We plan to shore dive only, so we can have as long of surface intervals as we'd like. And we'll probably do two dives per day.

I would just like to get the gear sooner rather than later so it doesn't feel like I'm spending more money for the trip. If I spread the purchases out, I find it feels better psychologically!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom