Grand Cayman Duty Free

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdcpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Jaques Scott Duty Free store opened last Thursday, April 18th.

Liquor sales only from what I saw.

It did not look like any of the other duty free stores, like Tortuga were close to opening.

Jaques Scott Duty Free store opened last Thursday, April 18th.

Liquor sales only from what I saw.

It did not look like any of the other duty free stores, like Tortuga were close to opening.

Is this at the GCM airport? I have taken duty-free liquor into Cayman but I haven't brought any back home. I have purchased other things like Rum Cakes in the GCM airport departure lounge stores and brought them through US customs.

If you mean the airport, there were at least two liquor stores, Churchill's Cigars, and Tortuga open when I left the island about 2 weeks ago. But the prices for everything I was interested in were higher than what I pay in the states. Also, you can purchase Cayman distillery products at a table they have set up in the departure lounge, for less than you can buy them at their distillery. A good deal. But be aware that even though you are purchasing them post security and can get on the plane with them in Cayman, if you are connecting and have to leave the secure area before getting your connecting flight, you will not be able to bring the bottles through security. This happened to me last year - had to check my backpack with a bottle of rum in it and pray it made it in one piece (which fortunately it did).

Neither Churchill’s nor the current Tortuga shop sell liquor.

Tortuga’s duty free liquor store is opening soon according to their signage.

Yes, I am referring to duty free liquor sales at Grand Cayman airport.

Neither Churchill’s nor the current Tortuga shop sell liquor.

Tortuga’s duty free liquor store is opening soon according to their signage.

Yes, I am referring to duty free liquor sales at Grand Cayman airport.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to two liquor stores in addition to Tortuga and Churchill's, which I realize do not sell liquor.

...But be aware that even though you are purchasing them post security and can get on the plane with them in Cayman, if you are connecting and have to leave the secure area before getting your connecting flight, you will not be able to bring the bottles through security. This happened to me last year - had to check my backpack with a bottle of rum in it and pray it made it in one piece (which fortunately it did).

This is also true if you are not leaving Cayman but are merely in transit at GCM on your way to Brac or Little Cayman. You will have to go through Security on GC, so pack the liquor in your checked luggage for the hop over to the sister islands.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to two liquor stores in addition to Tortuga and Churchill's, which I realize do not sell liquor.

I must admit I do not understand.

The only store that is open and sells liquor in the airport is Jacques Scott.

Yes, the food stand does sell a few bottles of liquor. I don’t consider that a liquor store.

What are the other two stores you are referring to that are open?

Sorry for the confusion.

I was just there Saturday. Jaques Scott has a full range of liquor for sale for at what look pretty much like US prices. There are 2 stands that sell Cayman Rum. Churchills sells cigars and there is a small jewellery shop. There is a Subway and another shop that sells food. Sandwiches, dogs, wraps, salads, pizza, and patties. Long line ups for both and no available seating in the departure lounge. It amazes me that the brand new airport is already too small to serve the public. The gate areas are very crowded and the PA system is inadequate. The bathrooms are too small and there are long lineups. Also no jetways. One walks outside to the plane in the heat or rain and then goes up a set of steps.

The most interesting thing about the current airport is that there is one water fountain that I can find in the departure lounge, located right as you enter the area by the Runaway Bar, by the first set of bathrooms.

You really don't notice the first set of bathrooms as they are kind of tucked in the back and the water fountain is not easy to see.

I hope they have some more water fountains when they complete the interior renovations.

And I agree with all the comments, it gets incredibly full at times in the departure lounge. I am not sure it looks any bigger than before. Of course, you don't see the seats for the two gates to the left as you enter. I am not sure those gates are used much anyway. The whole place ends up looking like an odd design. Maybe it will clear up when completed?

Back
Top Bottom