Grand Cayman Diving recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkhan

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey folks,

My friends and I are heading down to Grand Cayman for a week at the beginning of February. We were hoping to get some recommendations from some more seasoned divers who have been to Grand Cayman. If you guys could recommend some of your favorite sites, or even share your stories and experiences, we would love to hear about them.

We will be there for 5 days, about 3 dives per day, and we really want to get the best Cayman has to offer.

Thanks a bunch!

The shore dives there are fantastic. Eden Rock has swimthroughs and one of the biggest moray eels I've ever seen. There is also a resident reef shark there, and tons of tarpon. Divetech was another great shop. They knew called me by my first name after the first day. There is an 800 ft wall right off their dock. Fantastic diving! Saw a spotted eagle ray within 2 minutes of being in the water. Giant sea turtles off the wall, eels, and ocotpi on the night dive. They let you dive your computers on the boat dives, rather than coming up when the first on the boat is low on air. It was a little tough to find the shop, but well worth it. I would suggest renting a car, and taking advantage of the fantastic shore dives on the island.
As a sidenote, snorkelling Stingray Sandbar with Captain Marvins was ten times better than doing the 12 foot dive (had to both a couple of times). Although, we did get to play with a moray eel (yes play!) on the dive.

my .02

Must do boat dives: Trinity Caves, Big Tunnels, Orange Canyon. (deeper dives)
Must do shallow boat dives: Aquarium. Also Stingray City one afternoon - most fun you'll ever have in 15'.

Must do shore dives: Turtle Reef. There will often be Tarpon schooling in the afternoon in an overhang just to the south of the ball. Also some of the larger fish use it as a shortcut between the North and West walls, we saw a group of Eagle Rays go screaming overhead. It's a pretty shallow dive, only 50' or so at the base of the reef but filled solid with stuff all the way down. And you can also go out across the sand to the wall but it's not as spectacular there as it is farther north.

And get your picture with the Mermaid at Sunset House (53' at the base). Sunset House also has the Cathy Church Photo School/Gallery in the basement of the main house and My Bar which is a diver's bar. We spent a really pleasant afternoon there.

I've read Lighthouse Point is another really good dive. It's been recently staffed by Divetech. It's in the same area as Turtle Reef.

Plan your day around staying out of Georgetown if there's cruise ships in port. The sidewalks are over-run with cruisers who are oblivious to cars approaching from the opposite direction. And traffic is a big mess.

If you plan to dive Eden Rock/Devils Grotto, do it later in the afternoon. If there's 3 ships in port, the third one is positioning on thrusters so the viz will be down. Although I didn't think it was all that great of a dive, it's been dove by cruise ship divers for decades and was pretty tired looking, lots of broken coral and ship debris. And the dive seems to end in about 40' of water, after that it all appeared to be sand. Not that you'd want to go farther, there were jetskis and two cruise boats moored past that. I guess the Grotto is better - we didn't dive it. Certainly nowhere near their claim of 2nd/3rd best dives in the Caribbean.

If you're all 25 or less dives, tell the diveop when you book. Typical GC dives are the first dive is deep - 100' or so down the wall followed by a shallow 2nd dive. But they can/will tailor it to the experience level on the boat. The way the wall angles and drops off in some places there's not a really good shallow alternative except hovering in the water column. Also watch your depth, the water is so crystal clear that you can get deep fast without realizing it. One time my buddy and I were on a planned 80' dive, when I noticed him above me waving me up, I then realized I was at 122'. And the bottom was another 1000' or more - we were diving off the North Wall. Ooops... At Big Tunnels I looked up from about 105' and could clearly read the Scubapro "S" on the hookah reg on the safety stop bar 90' above us.

If you stay on Seven Mile Beach, most of the boat-based diveops - which is the majority - will pick you up streetside anywhere along there. At almost every shoredive site there's some sort of dive/resort or dive facility and you're required to rent tanks from them to dive there as they legally own the property down to the waterline. Most won't let you remove them from the property also. Should you need tanks for an open shore dive, the divestore in West Bay rents them.

Other things to know: Cayman is wicked expensive. The dollar is .80 to the CI$. A typical meal in a restaurant can be upwards of $40. Even KFC was pricey...lol. Food prices in the markets are high also and liquor is stupid expensive so BYOB if you're planning to drink alot. We rented a condo and did some cooking to keep the costs down. Also just about anywhere - except maybe around the Ritz-Carlton, you're going to want a car as it's a walk to restaurants, shops etc. And there's some good restaurants in/just north of Georgetown also but no one stays there - except for at Sunset House.

hth,

My favorite Cayman dive sites are found off the swim deck of the Cayman Aggressor.

If you total up the costs for hotel room, diving, food, drinks, etc, it comes out pretty cost-effective too.

All the best, James

dkhan,

Here's my thoughts...

Any East End diving is good. Ocean Frontiers (www.oceanfrontiers.com) is my favorite there. They can take you to dives with swim-throughs that open up to 6000' depths, or to 15-20 foot reef dives.

On the busy end of the island, Divetech (www.divetech.com) and Neptune's Divers (www.neptunesdivers.com) have been great to us.

Perhaps my favorite Seven Mile Beach boat dive is Bonnie's Arch, at the north end of SMB.

On shore, the new operation at Lighthouse Point is a great location; the entry can be a bit rugged in the right seas, though. The old Divetech shore dive, Turtle Reef, now run by Ollen Miller's Sundivers (www.sundivers.ky) is still top-notch, with the added benefit of having the Macabuca bar right there for after-dive libations. If you do the Turtle Reef dive, look in www.CaymanActivityGuide.com for a coupon for dives, drinks and snacks.

Definitley try avoiding George Town when there are more than two or three cruise ships in. Check this website... http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php to see how many will be in.

I hope this gets you some more ideas.
DS

Anthing on the east end.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom