Grand cayman basic info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ls1dreams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, this is a bit of a lazy post, but I thought I'd start collecting some feedback as I research.

I'm looking to do a short trip (maybe 4 days), and was considering Grand Cayman as an option.

If you had to keep your trip really short, which part of GC would you focus on? (Or are there areas I shouldn't miss in more remote areas).

Some conditions:
- I'm a relatively new diver (~20 dives) so prefer conditions that aren't too difficult
- No buddy so will need to insta-buddy, or use a guide (I'm horrible at navigation)
- Traveling with a non-diver friend, so topside should be good.

Any recommendations would be great, and i'm also curious what kind of accommodation pricing to expect. Don't need anything fancy.

Oh CathyV :)

Four days? Dive Cayman only...not too much choices as Brac and LC...would bite into your travel time. Search out post as there are sooooooooo many on dive operators....

Why don't you click on this sub forum (Cayman Islands) and look through it you will get a lot of your questions answered and then you can specify what you need to know.There are lots of knowledgeable people and informative posts there.

Cayman Islands

Why don't you click on this sub forum (Cayman Islands) and look through it you will get a lot of your questions answered and then you can specify what you need to know.There are lots of knowledgeable people and informative posts there.

Cayman Islands

Thanks - missed that subforum somehow while looking through.

Flyboy where in NYC are you I am on Long Island (East Hampton)
NYC....UWS.

Take a look at Sunset House, nice spot near George Town and not too far from the Seven Mile Beach for your non-diving companion. Can you stretch your trip to 5 days because you will lose a dive day due to the "wait to fly" rule.

Breakfast is included, they have a dive op onsite and a house reef to shore dive. They have a restaurant and a beach bar onsite and they are close to other eateries. The dive master will pair you up with someone or you can just follow the divemaster because he/she will be in the water with a group.

If you want to be in the 7MB area then take a look at the Sunshine Suites, across the street from the Westin and you can have beach access and all the resort amenities if you pay a daily resort fee. Red Sail is the onsite dive op.

When are you planning to travel? The season impacts the pricing. Here are the winter and summer rates for Sunset House. The price includes the room, diving, and breakfast. There will be an additional 13% tax and an extra charge for Nitrox if you prefer to use it.

WINTER RATES: Dec 23, 2017 - Mar 31, 2018 (5 night minimum)
5 nights/4 days of diving
Courtyard Room: $1163.50 per diver/$703.50 per non diver

SUMMER RATES: Apr 1 - Dec 22, 2018
5 nights/4 days of diving
Courtyard Room: $1132.75 per diver/$672.75 per non diver

All prices are US$, based on double occupancy.

Last edited:
If your companion wants a beach - there's none at Sunset House. It does have a popular outdoor bar. Also it's walking distance to south Georgetown and just west of the airport so a short cab ride if you don't rent a car (driving is on the left there) Another SH advantage is it's likely the easiest place to find a buddy for shore diving there - everybody is a diver or with one. Easy entry from the Saltwater Pool and 2-3 decent shallower dives - the Mermaid, the small Nicholson wreck and ask the shop when the tourist sub goes by to wave at them.

Cayman is pretty pricey for everything as it's mostly all imported.

If you select any of the resorts along Seven Mile Beach (the Westin is pretty nice) any of the dive operators will pick you up by van and take you to their boats daily. 2 dives and you'll be back b4 noon. Most also do 1 or 2 tank afternoon dives or specialty dives,

Every operator puts a DM in the water - often 2 based on the group's experience level. Most 2 tank dives are a deep wall dive followed by a shallow 2nd dive - often at a different site. The one gotcha about the deep wall dives are the moorings are often around 60' or so - above that all you're diving in is blue water. Not always though - more often at some of the north wall sites where the first thing you encounter might be the pinnacle or whatever feature gives the site it's name rising from the depths.

There are also a lot of really good shallow boar dives - Aquarium was a good dive. Only about 60-70' max with lots of coral heads and several cleaning stations. My buddy got his cuticles trimmed at one by a banded coral shrimp.

Also there's the Kittiwake - it's both a dive cleaned wreck you can penetrate and a snorkel for your friend - the top of the ship is about 10-15' down. A recent storm tore the wheelhouse roof off - it's that shallow.

You also could both do Stingray City but find a dive operator that takes snorkelers instead of one of the more popular Sand Bar snorkel trips which are really just wading with stingrays.

You can dive and participate in the feed and your friend can snorkel down - it's 14' deep. You can hand them squid as they swim down so they can also participate in the feeding.

I personally wouldn't stay anywhere else for 4 days. The East End requires a 45min+ drive and even the quieter south side is about 20mins. from most things with very limited food options etc. Most of Caynan activities are either around downtown - including multiple cruise ships per day - or mid Seven Mile Beach.

Many of the lodging options also have on-site dive operations but generally it's just an office - their boats are elsewhere. Seven Mile Beach is a nice white sandy beach but the diving is a few minutes ride offshore - at the Westin or Marriott Red Sail will sometimes beach a boat and pickup divers but most of them keep boats in the Sound and dive the North Wall/ NW area. A lot of the best of the Cayman dives are there.

A few other options - there's a dive operation at Sunshine Suites. Also Ambassador Divers at the Comfort Suites would probably work for you . www.Cita.ky lists about 2 dozen others.

Last edited:
Lots of great info in above posts and in the Cayman forum. Short answer (IMHO) if you are traveling with a non-diving buddy is to stay on 7 Mile Beach - Sunshine Suites is probably the best deal going as you can use the Westin facilities and beach just across the street, and Sunshine Grill is great place for breakfast. You would be about 2 miles (45 minute walk or $2.50 public bus or not too expensive taxi ride) from town, walking distance to lots of restaurants, and walking distance to a few of the local bars (Whiskey Mist, Calico Jacks, Lone Star). And being on a main bus route you can get pretty much anywhere. Not sure of your demo profile, but when my mid 20s daughter visits us, she can reliably be found in the evening hanging out with the locals either at Jack's (a mile up the beach north of Sunshine Suites), Rackam's (in town), or Whiskey Mist (5 min walk south of Sushine Suites).

You will have your choice of dive ops who will pick you up (can't go wrong with any of them), or Red Sail just across the street (I do the residents-only dive with them weekly and like them a lot. They usually load a boat at the Westin for west bay dive sites). I dive as a single and with most of the dive ops I've gone with you dive as a guided group, or they will arrange for you to buddy with someone if needed.

Cayman ia pretty pricey as the US$ is fixed to .80 CI$ so everything costs more.

I have read this quite a few times here on SB and I think there is some misunderstanding here... That things are more expensive here has nothing to do with currency exchange rate.

Assuming all things being equal, a currency exchange rate means that a burger that would cost 1 USD in the US would cost 0.80 CI on Cayman.

That it is not is due to the fact that Grand Cayman is an island. Virtually everything has to be shipped or flown in, and is subject to significant import duties. Next to that the economies of scale of running a business are limited on a smaller island, as companies and customer numbers are smaller here, so costs of doing business are higher. Due to these factors even if everything was priced in USD on the island prices would still be higher than the US.

If pricing differences worldwide were just due to exchange rate everything in Indonesia would be 13,616 times more expensive than the US!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom