Grand Bahama Scuba and ORYC--Four thumbs up!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yazmeen

Registered
Reaction score
First off--to Tavi: Thank you, thank you, thank you for the recommendation!!!

We were at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Grand Bahama Scuba from the 1st to the 9th, and our experience can be best described as "first rate." We had a wonderful time. The condos were terrific--minor problem the first night where we got a smaller room, but the next day we got our one BR suite with no problem, plus the resort "treated" us to Esther's "steak out" on Wed. to make up for it. Clean, BIG and comfy rooms, full kitchen, the grocery store shuttle allowed us to get breakfast and lunch supplies. The pools were uncrowded and great, both Esther's and the Carribbean pool bar served good food and reasonable drinks. The whole resort atmosphere was very friendly and promoted conversation. And we fell in love with little "Miss Ocean Reef," the resident calico cat at Esther's.

Hubby did 15 dives with GBS and was very, very pleased with the service and the relaxed atmosphere, not to mention the excellent diving. He especially enjoyed talking with Fred, who's a rather amazing and very intelligent man. Suzuki and Melinda and Eric were terrific, too. Great service, good attention, but they also allowed experienced people like my hubby do their own thing, too. I went snorkeling in the afternoon twice with the dive boat on the shallow reef, and it was perfect for me. One time, I was the only snorkeler and I felt like I had the whole ocean to myself (I loathe "cattle boat" snorkel tours--I always seem to end up playing snorkel instructor on those).

One weird highlight: My husband got "attacked" by a trunkfish on one dive as she furiously tried to get a remora off of herself. She decided flapping against his chest might work--it didn't!!! That was certainly a dive he'll alway remember. Overall, the whole trip was a great experience. Grand Bahama has grown and the whole Port Lucaya area has been majorly upgraded since our last trip there. Service overall on the island was much improved, and everyone seemed very friendly and helpful. This resort and dive shop and trip was definitely a keeper. We will go back.

Yaz

Ask your husband if Fred was still wearing his prized "drysuit" on the dives!

We stayed at the Ocean Reef a couple of years ago and dove with Grand Bahama Scuba then, had a great time - both at the resort and diving!

Back
Top Bottom