Suggestion GPS satellite suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
deaf diver

deaf diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all. I have a couple big trips planned this fall and I’m thinking on getting a satellite GPS more specifically the Garmin InReach Mimi. All thoughts good and bad appreciated.
Greg

Why not use your smart phone? Google Maps allows you to download maps for offline access.

Why not use your smart phone? Google Maps allows you to download maps for offline access.

Good suggestion for maps only but the Garmin InReach Mini also functions as a satellite phone for SOS functions or more — serving much of the purpose as a PLB. They also make an inexpensive ($50) housing.

I’m using it for the gps it has. I have a couple big trips scheduled this year. I was on a livaboard 2 years ago in French Polynesia and 3 divers got swept out by the current it almost 6 hours to locate them and it was a wake up call for me

I’m using it for the gps it has. I have a couple big trips scheduled this year. I was on a livaboard 2 years ago in French Polynesia and 3 divers got swept out by the current it almost 6 hours to locate them and it was a wake up call for me
Ahhh. . . you want a PLB
resculink.jpg

Don't screw around with a radio that may or may not be monitored

Don't screw around with a radio that may or may not be monitored

It's not a marine radio, it is a satellite telephone with 911 functions, depending on the subscription level you have. This is very different than the Lifeline VHF radio system.

It's not a marine radio, it is a satellite telephone with 911 functions, depending on the subscription level you have. This is very different than the Lifeline VHF radio system.
Does it provide your GPS coordinates and then send a tracking beacon?

I use a Zoleo for off grid land based activities, or general communication (text) from a boat. I don't think either it, or an inreach, would be a viable substitute for an epirb or plb.

If I hit the SOS button on my zoleo, it'll ping GEOS, who will then try to get back in touch with me via text to determine the type of emergency. They would then activate the most appropriate emergency service provider. If I don't respond to texts, they assume the worst and will activate the emergency service provider that can respond the fastest.

An epirb will just go straight to the coasties and skip all the middle communication. The PLB I have used would either ping the boat (assuming they had a receiver) or the standard EPIRB frequency that would be picked up by the coasites.

There is also affordable SAR insurance available. I got mine from my-geos.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom