Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Satto95

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought a Gopro 7 black for my Komodo and Bali trip! (I do plan to use it back home here in SoCal and Florida)

Anyways, I'm trying to build a rig for myself. I would ideally like to shoot a lot of macro footage. For this, I will be using the macromate mini! But this leads me to my next dilemma; lights.

I called backscatter and they through together a bundle for me that includes the flip system with the macromate, tray, arms, lanyard, gorilla pod, and super suit.

One bundle includes two Gobe 1000 wide FCs for 740usd and the other includes two Sola 2000's for 900.

I'm really on the fence. I'd like to save the money if the two Sola 2000's aren't necessary but they really seem to be insanely powerful.

I'll be shooting as much macro as I can but will also be doing wide angle whenever possible.

Save the money. You're not going to see much of a difference at that low level of output. Neither of those are "insanely powerful" as you put it, and both will require you to be very close to your subject to actually make use of them. And if you're macro close, you really don't need much light to cut through the short distance of water to your subject.

Look at it this way, for macro, the cheaper will be more than adequate. For wide angle, neither will perform the way you want them to. Might as well save money where you can.

Here's a good page that looks at both. For the minimal difference in price I'd go for the Solas. Are you sure that price was for 2 Solas and not 1? The Solas are more than double the Gobes. Two of them alone would cost close to your $900.

What Light & Motion light is the one for me?

you could go for a pair of gobe spots if you are mainly looking at macro usage. call and ask for the spot version instead of flood. and then get bigger lights for wide angle later on.

GoBe Action Kit - Light & Motion

the sola 2000s are best at close distance up to 3 feet away. further than that, they drop off quick in the daytime.

you could go for a pair of gobe spots if you are mainly looking at macro usage. call and ask for the spot version instead of flood. and then get bigger lights for wide angle later on.

the sola 2000s are best at close distance up to 3 feet away. further than that, they drop off quick in the daytime.
I was told the spots wouldn't be as good for macro since they won't evenly light the subject.

Save the money. You're not going to see much of a difference at that low level of output. Neither of those are "insanely powerful" as you put it, and both will require you to be very close to your subject to actually make use of them. And if you're macro close, you really don't need much light to cut through the short distance of water to your subject.

Look at it this way, for macro, the cheaper will be more than adequate. For wide angle, neither will perform the way you want them to. Might as well save money where you can.

Love your explanation!

I do plan on a fair amount of close reef shots that aren't macro though. I also plan on lots of night dives.

Thanks!

I decided to go with two Sola 2000s! For 599, I couldn't pass it up.

I have (2) sola video lights the 3500 and I am very happy with them and the ability to dim them down to a low level or max if that is needed as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom