Government Shutdown and Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It appears that if the government shuts down, the wrecks inside the NOAA national Marine Sanctuary and the wrecks and Isle Royale will be closed down. How would they enforce this? The national park at Isle Royal "closed" down the Kamloops when the diver died but yet people still dove it.

Remember the Fitz is in Canadian waters. I do not see why wrecks would be closed just because of the government shutdown.

The Fitz is being watched by the Canadians.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2013 at 06:28 AM ----------

And about the wrecks, if they are shut down no one is watching. Just swim around the yellow "do not enter" tape :)

The scuba police will arrest you, brand you an anarchist and off to gitmo you will go...

Wait, that's not the scuba police...

Isle Royale wrecks are at most endangered to being off limits to divers. Thunder Bay on the other hand does not have the authority (as of yet), to do darn thing.

As for the Fitz, the GPS always moves and multiple people claimed to have been over the wreckage with the border running right through. If you want to go out 20 miles in the middle of the lake to look a giant lump on your sonar and risk prosecution be my guest... Unless she really is in American waters, 317 feet to go for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom