• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Got your flu shot yet?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by DandyDon, Nov 23, 2019.

1. formernuke

formernuke Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I only got the flu once, the vaccine might have made it less but still spent a night in the hospital fever hit 104 the day after I got out, laid me out for a while.

AfterDark likes this.
  2. Jayfarmlaw

Jayfarmlaw Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    GET THE FLU VACCINE!!! My daughter is a nurse in a major metropolitan transplant ward. They get the overflow from the icu as well as the patients that are on ecmo. (Whaterever that is...I just know it's really bad if your on it) Every year she tells a story of a particularly crushing day at work where they have to remove life support from someone young that was previously the picture of health dying from the flu. Literally marathon runners, young parents, and others that lead competitive active lifestyles, watched their diets and did everything right die from the flu every year.

If not for yourself, for the elderly and young, those that may be sick or taking medical treatments that weaken their immune system, and even those that are young and healthy that you are around. The flu is going to kill someone and it really does not care who...don't be the reason they got it....

Get your friggin shot!
    Jay

RyanT and chillyinCanada like this.
  3. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

Well, they still should, as it repeats at times.

Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) is a treatment that uses a pump to circulate blood through an artificial lung back into the bloodstream of a very ill baby. This system provides heart-lung bypass support outside of the baby's body. It may help support a child who is awaiting a heart or lung transplant.

Yep, thanks.

4. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Kelp forest dweller ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Interesting about the waning immunity. I know what you mean about people calling colds the flu, but I think I actually did have a touch of flu last year. I did get the shot, but several weeks later the flu was going around, knocking everyone on their asses, and I caught...something? Symptoms were flu-like in nature (fever, chills, aches) but not severity or duration (I missed a couple days of work, could have even dragged myself in if I absolutely had to, and the whole thing only lasted a week). I know you can sometimes catch a different strain of flu than the one you were vaccinated against, but the vaccine still provides some immunity, and that jibes with what I experienced. The experience really drove home the importance of the flu shot for me. I mean, when you get the shot and don't get the flu, you never know if it worked or you just got lucky. But with that mild flu, I could really feel the shot working.

RyanT, Bubblesong and markmud like this.
  5. mac64

mac64 Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Influenzas is an animal and poverty issue, if half the money that’s spent on vaccines was spent on world poverty there would be no need for vaccines. Of course the pharma industry won’t like that considering the billions they make on vaccines. New startup industry just announced in Dundalk, Ireland.Chinese company will employ 200 to make vaccines for the US market.

6. Jcp2

Jcp2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Flu vaccine mandatory for employees at my organization. Good idea, as we are a health care system. Agree that poverty is bad, disagree that vaccines are gigantic money makers. The lack of relative profit combined with the huge liability exposure has driven many companies out of the vaccine business.

Aviyes, chillyinCanada and Esprise Me like this.
  7. markmud

markmud Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives. ScubaBoard Supporter

Hi Dandy,

I always get the flu shot. When I get the flu I go down long and hard.

I always have adverse reactions to the vaccines. Some years back I got the flu shot and then went diving. I was cramping and had extremely minor signs of DCS according to the boat crew. I always get a spell of vertigo or minor flu like symptoms that dissipate in less then 24 hours. I get different reactions over the course of about two weeks after a vaccine.

This year I got the T-DEP (SP) and the flu shot. I now have what I consider to be flesh eating disease (severe rash). My epidermis is a wreck. We put on hold my planned ShingREX series because of my current malody.

The doctor does not know what disease or allergy I have, but I am going to a dermatologist ASAP (no 3 month wait after my DR called himself to make the appointment for me).

Correlation and causation are two different things. But my wife now believes I have adverse reactions to these things because she has seen it for 15 years.

Why do you get these vaccines you moron? Because the flu is a near death experience for me and I accept adverse reactions as better than dying. Yeah, even my present case of flesh eating disease (severe rash and peeling).

I will get the ShingRIX after the Surge. Going blind in one eye because of a worst-case bout of shingles scares the snot out of me.

Thanks DD,
    m

chillyinCanada likes this.
  8. markmud

markmud Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives. ScubaBoard Supporter

I work for gubmint. The $300 ShingRIX is free for me, but not the taxpayers. I love the gun-toting taxman who takes money from productive people so I can have freebies--thanks taxman!

We are in the same club. That is how the flu hits me. I am down for the count.

Poverty is not a money issue. I am not being political or a jerk, I would really like a viable answer. It is a cultural, political, and an economic-system issue. How do we spend more money on poverty to create access to expanding economies where all people will participate? San Francisco pays the homeless, and the number of homeless people defecating in the streets is increasing. I agree with you @mac64 , disease and other forms of pestilence would be greatly decreased if we could make the "great society" work.

cheers,
    m

Bubblesong likes this.
  9. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

Tdap? Tdap is a combination vaccine that protects against three potentially life-threatening bacterial diseases: tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (whooping cough). ​
    I'm overdue for my tetanus booster, based on 10 year recommendations. I've read that farmers develop natural immunity from constant exposure, but I used to know one who almost died from it as the doctors treating him had never seen a case. I don't farm anymore unless they get desperate for help, but I'm always scrapping skin off just doing yard work. My doc said to come in anytime I have a wound to document so Medicare will cover it.

It sounds like you have a complex problem of some sort. Good luck dealing with your issues.

markmud likes this.
  10. divinh

divinh Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I can't say this is 100%, but this is what I recall from some articles I've read...

When Gavin Newsom was mayor of SF, he had a plan called "Care Not Cash" which took the $500/month given to homeless people and reduced it down to $50/month. The difference was then pooled to rent single occupancy studios for a subset of homeless people. Basically, a few homeless people got housed while the rest were worse off financially, even when $500/month wasn't much to begin with. There was also a new government position created to supervise all of this. The job paid $100k.

There was an article written by a homeless person about what they have to deal with...

There are a few shelters across the city. Beds are assigned from another location, not at the shelters. This was done to remove favoritism and/or bribery. A homeless person would need to go across town to sign up, then see which shelter they got assigned, then cross town to the shelter. So, first, shelter location wasn't stable. Second, not all shelters are dedicated as such, so some were only open limited hours, like 8 PM to 6 AM.

The sleeping supplies weren't cleaned on a regular basis, so blankets may have feces debris from another homeless person who wasn't as cleanly.

This back and forth across the city to get a bed (like a full-time job), then the bed might not be clean led some homeless people to just say, "screw it, I'm better off on my own".

So, SF does put resources into helping homeless people, but not very well; that's why homeless people are still very visible.

chillyinCanada and markmud like this.