Got to thank 3P's and the Casa Mexicana...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepsea21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So one of my worst nightmares came true (again)... Getting sick or injured just before a dive trip.

I managed to break my foot 36 hours before our flight down for our December trip. My Dr. told me that where this break of the 5th metatarsal was did not require a boot but to keep my weight off of it as best I could. When I told him I was going to MX in 36 hours to go diving he said I could dive if I wanted to but I probably would't want to as I couldn't take the pain. He wasn't aware that my pain tolerance is pretty high and I broke the same foot in a different place 2 years ago and went diving with that broken but that pain was no where near this level.

I took wheelchairs and beep-beep carts through all airports on the way down. My biggest fear was getting through the Coz airport but that was the best part of the flights down... An airport or AA employee was waiting for me at the bottom of the staircase with a wheelchair and took me through customs to the baggage pick-up and another loaded the bags at that pick-up. Then through the red/green light and on to the taxi ticketing window and all the way out to the vans. Yeah, they all got tipped heavily.

I had a 20 days of diving booked and notified Jeanie at 3P's what happened before we left and cancelled the first week of dives. Then I canceled a few more days. Jeanie said not to worry about it and just see how it goes. Finally, after spending 9 days in a lounge chair on the CM pool deck icing and elevating 5 hours a day followed by more icing and elevating in bed after dinner I got the swelling down to a point I figured I could get it in a boot and get it into a fin. That worked and I was able to fin back and forth across the little pool. Being weightless in the water finning really didn't hurt much but walking around putting any weight on it was not gonna happen for long.

So, it's time to start diving after 9 days riding a lounge chair but I can't walk much without it killing. Pony and Julio at the shop saw that I was picked up just outside the CM and driven as close to the boats at the marina as possible. DM Jose, Captain Chan Fran (Eagle Eyes) and even owner Steve hefted my tank/BC up the side after every dive so I could climb the ladder without all that weight. Coming back to town I was dropped off at the front of the CM. I ended up getting 10 days of diving in when I thought the trip would be a total bust. Had we booked any other destination we would have cancelled but Coz is cheap and I figured I'd rather ride a lounge chair for 3 weeks and watch the Coz world go by from the pool deck than sit at home watching TV and maybe I'd get a little diving in. 10 days of diving was way more than I expected and while I missed out on so much that I usually would have taken in walking about during the X-mas season I can't complain.

I couldn't be happier with the CM staff and the service they provided me. The breakfast crew let me hobble in from the 2nd floor every day through the roped off Covid barrier so I didn't have to climb those stairs (thanks Vincente & Synthia). Gustavo took care of filling multiple bags of ice throughout out the day and my new CM friend I got to know (can't remember his name right now) who cleans the pool and entry areas every morning brought out a cushion for my lounge chair every morning as soon as he saw me hobbling out here and before all the others were brought out around noon.

Long story short, what I thought would be an absolute disaster and a wasted dive vacation turned out to be as good as possible given the circumstances. As much as I've detested the Taxi Mafia over the years I have to say I was so happy to have them all lined up right across the street from the CM to shuttle me to and from all the various restaurants I'd usually walk to.

Thank you 3P's and all the CM staff!

and my new CM friend I got to know (can't remember his name right now) who cleans the pool and entry areas every morning brought out a cushion for my lounge chair every morning as soon as he saw me hobbling out here and before all the others were brought out around noon.

Just got back from Coz last night. "Anibal" is the name of that very kind, helpful CM employee--always quick to smile and lend a helping hand.

Glad it worked out, but I would have so canceled that trip. Rescheduling is always an option. If it had happened while I was there, I would have recalled my OW instructor's cautions about being a threat to myself and others and not dived. But that's me.

Glad it worked out, but I would have so canceled that trip. Rescheduling is always an option. If it had happened while I was there, I would have recalled my OW instructor's cautions about being a threat to myself and others and not dived. But that's me.

You're lucky being retired Dandy. For us working people when we find ourselves sitting on "use or lose" PTO days at the end of the year in December we use them. As I said, 3 weeks riding the couch watching TV at home sucks compared to 3 weeks riding a lounge chair in Coz. Very simple decision for me. Furthermore, it turned out far better than I ever expected as I was prepared to ride that lounge chair for 3 weeks and do nothing more.

As far as diving with a broken foot goes... I had done that before. If an emergency situation had taken place while diving, the last thing I'd be thinking about is some foot pain. Rest assured, in an emergency situation that sends your adrenaline through the roof you'll feel absolutely no pain anywhere and will just do what needs done.

Just got back from Coz last night. "Anibal" is the name of that very kind, helpful CM employee--always quick to smile and lend a helping hand.

Thanks brownie. We are booked for December again but I think we may just see him sooner than that. I've been looking at 2 weeks in Roatan between now and Dec but I just don't know about that and can't decide between 2 weeks in Roatan or another 2 week trip to Coz before December.

For us working people when we find ourselves sitting on "use or lose" PTO days at the end of the year in December we use them. As I said, 3 weeks riding the couch watching TV at home sucks compared to 3 weeks riding a lounge chair in Coz. Very simple decision for me. Furthermore, it turned out far better than I ever expected as I was prepared to ride that lounge chair for 3 weeks and do nothing more.
Yeah, put that way, I would have gone, too. Good that you worked around the foot.
As far as diving with a broken foot goes... I had done that before. If an emergency situation had taken place while diving, the last thing I'd be thinking about is some foot pain. Rest assured, in an emergency situation that sends your adrenaline through the roof you'll feel absolutely no pain anywhere and will just do what needs done.
How did you break it, twice? I hope you didn't incur additional damage.

I was last in Roatan about 15 years ago. The "no-see-ums" were relentless.

In that time frame, I've made 25-30 trips to Coz, only 1 trip to Roatan, but YMMV.

I was there in July. No sand bug problems.

Yeah, put that way, I would have gone, too. Good that you worked around the foot.

How did you break it, twice? I hope you didn't incur additional damage.

Accidents happen and whenever someone breaks a bone it certainly isn't planned. Not like I took a hammer to my foot 4 years ago and decided to do it again last year just for kicks. This break was no worse but with this break there is tendon and nerve damage that takes a long time to heal. The broken bone healed totally in 8 weeks and is good to go but the tendon and nerve damage in other parts of the foot is a different story and can take months and months to heal... so I've been told by the Dr. Right now it is a never ending painful annoyance but not debilitating. Whatever ya do, break anything, damage whatever but don't screw with your feet!

In that time frame, I've made 25-30 trips to Coz, only 1 trip to Roatan, but YMMV.

Yeah brownie... How many times have I been on a dive boat in Coz when someone is doing a round-a-bout and walks on the boat with legs that look like raw ground meat. They were always coming from Roatan up through some Belize diving and their legs still looked like that in Coz. My wife is highly allergic to bug bites and those Roatan no-see-ums are not held at bay with even the strongest bug spray so I've been told. Who needs that? They all got eaten alive in Roatan.

Back
Top Bottom