Got some rinse water in first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ojai Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Before storing my reg set, I saw a few drops of fresh water exit the back of my SP Mk 25 evo first stage. I had done a post dive rinse/soak with the dust cap on--not sure how it got in, as I am careful not to depress purges. In any event, anything to be done at this point? Is this a problem? Thanks.

I did that (dribble from my drysuit collar ring) and had a frozen primary the next dive an hour later (5c water).

If its nearly or past due for a service then get it done. If not AND you're diving temperate water above 10c/50f AND you're positive it's just fresh water then you could run some tank air through it with all hoses and transponders disconnected... but if it were mine I'd get it serviced.

If you have a tank just blow it out if it’s freaks water it’s unlikely to lead to and issue.

I had a brain fart once and dunked my reg in fresh water without the dust cap. I was so mad at myself. I took it to the dive shop; they looked it over and said it looked OK. They took off the SPG, connected it to a tank, and blew out the droplets. They told me to keep an eye out for corrosion on the mesh screen of the first stage, but said it should be good to go without servicing. They didn't charge me for this. You're probably OK, but if you have a good relationship with your dive shop, they could probably give you some more reassurance.

I was in Cozumel one time, packing my gear at the dip tank after a dive, and two other divers walked up and proceeded to rinse their uncapped first stages with the fresh water hose used to fill the tank.

I asked if they knew that they should have the dust cap secured, and one of them said yes, they would put it on as soon as they finished rinsing the salt water off, so that no dust would get in.

I knew who their dive guide had been and mentioned to him that he might check their rigs before the next dive.

They told me to keep an eye out for corrosion on the mesh screen of the first stage, but said it should be good to go without servicing.

Rather than looking at the first stage filter, which is intended to catch debris from the tank, i would take off the second stage(s) and check the inlets as corrosion and salt from the first stage tends to get deposited there.

Note that it's normal for some salt to build up on the very end of the inlet, which isn't sealed by the internal oring in the hose fitting. The area to check for downstream corrosion/mineral build up is further down the inlet, around the adjustable orifice etc.

Generally, a little fresh water won't contain enough dissolved minerals to create serious problems and moisture will get blown out when the reg is pressurized and purged.

Although I generally rinse my regulators when they are still pressurised, I'd be surprised if this was a big issue. I mean, diveshops generally let their (OW) students rinse their rental gear, and I'd be amazed if less than 10% of their first stages gets submerged in fresh water during rinse. They don't seem to have a lot of problems with their regs..

I saw a few drops of fresh water exit the back of my SP Mk 25 evo first stage.

Where is the back of a MK25? Did you see water coming from inlet filter or was the water exiting from somewhere else? If it was coming from under the boot that covers the seat retainer, that is certainly not a problem. If it was coming from the ambient chamber-again, not a problem.

That may not be good, but let's not panic just yet.
Fresh water is not necessarily terrible to get inside a piston regulator (depending on the amount.) Before blowing anything out do a quick inspection of all of the ports-that includes the unused high pressure port. Remove all of the port plugs and hoses and look for water. If none is in the HP ports back up and plug all of the ports except one hp port. Install the first stage on a tank and blow it out. Do the same with the other hp port. Now repeat the procedure with every low pressure port in it's turn.

If all is OK (get an IP gauge) and keep an eye on the IP (should be doing this anyway see: Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8) ) After each of the next few dive trips open the hp ports again and inspect for signs of water intrusion and corrosion.

One other question (I'm beginning to sound like Columbo.) See the picture below. Is your inlet protector similar to the one on the left? If it is, get rid of that silly water reservoir cap and get something like the one on the right that won't hold water.
Scubapro dust cap.jpg

Back
Top Bottom