got a bit messed up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarnis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, well went diving last week..semi-paranoid as it was but looking through here and feeling a bit more. Maybe I should of gone to the emergency room but long story and for whatever reason didn't.

In a nutshell my pressure guage was a bit out of whack, started out a bit short on nitrox(37.7%) seeing I had 1500psi left I tried grabbing a lobster and before I knew it I was down to 600psi. So my guage said...looked around really quick for the group but I got seperated and not seeing anyone I was about to head to the surface when breathing got really hard. Ran out of air once but in only 15' of water...was at 85 now. Not good so I dumped my weights and I guess 22 minuted into the first and only dive of the day I headed up breathing as best as I could. At about 20 feet that was it I couldn't breath anymore and for whatever reason and yes getting back on the boat it hit me what I did I stopped breathing and sorta held my breath...more so just stopped breathing had my mouth open with the regulator in it but at that point I'm not sure I still really could exhale anymore. Kind a a blur.

Got back on the boat, don't think I was down long enough to bend myself, over expansion is still my big concern I suppose. didn't feel any symptoms of the bends and just went home and paced around for awhile after I got back to the dock. Soar throat and ear ache set in later but went away, then my chest started to hurt for a little while...sorta the type of feeling you get when your sitting out by the pool all day from the chlorine. I burped and it went away.

Next day was feeling a little short of breath so I went to the doctor who didn't hear anything in my lungs...just gave me stuff for my sinuses. didn't have any symptoms of anything else. The shortness of breath persissted although it's gotten better but went to another dr yesterday since the other guyt was on vacation who also didn't hear anything(nor did the nurse at the university...paranoid?) But he took x-rays which I won't hear about till thursday. Guess just afraid I did something... The woman from DAN which I promptly signed up for after the incident said probably just a mild over expansion injury, should go away in a few days and to goto the emergency room if I felt any pain which I still don't. just some stiffness in the morning.

Well anyways just rambling at this point...as for the guages the guy at the dive shop emptied out a tank of air comparing them with another set and while they seemed ok when it was full the were reading more air then they should have as the tank empties...almost 400 on an empty tank. And I thought I was doing better on my air consumptiuon the last few months. *sigh*

Hello tarnis:

Looks as though you "dodged a bullet" on that one.

Cool and calm is always the watchword so that one never ascends too rapidly or with a breath hold.
:wink:

Dumping the weights should have been your last resort, that was a dangerous move. CESA - Controlled Emegency Swimming Ascend would have been my first choice, after I beat my buddy up for not being around......... I've read of people on this board who's done CESA's from deeper.

tarnis:
as for the guages the guy at the dive shop emptied out a tank of air comparing them with another set and while they seemed ok when it was full the were reading more air then they should have as the tank empties...almost 400 on an empty tank.
So with no tank attached the gauge reads 400psi?

Since a failing bourdon tube tends to increase its zero reading before blowing, and because sticking gauge needles aren't unheard of, one of my standard predive checks is to pressurize, check tank pressure, then purge the 2nd to ensure that the SPG goes to zero.

They were reading 400 when another tank was emptied...

has anyone experienced the whole shortness of breath thing before? Doctors are looking at me like I'm crazy...

Ok, you could have an injury, but somehow I doubt it. If your Dr. is competent, and you've told him what to look for, then it is unlikely that he will miss it.

At a guess, you're a little freaked out, and you need to relax a little. You dodged a bullet, and it's unlikely that it'll come arround for another try. Wanna feel better? Get the SPG replaced and get wet.

tarnis:
has anyone experienced the whole shortness of breath thing before? Doctors are looking at me like I'm crazy...

Yes... when I thought something was wrong with me and started freaking myself out. It made me short of breath. I'm not being flippant. That's what happens.

So trust your doctor, thank Poseidon, and chill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom