GoPro vs TG4 (or 6)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nik in Spain

Registered
Reaction score
I have foolishly bought a GoPro 7 Black a few years ago thinking this would be great for scuba. Having replaced the lights once already to get a bit more illumination, the videos are almost enough for personal entertainment, little more (I confess that I can't edit..I am useless at most technological things and learning at my age/state of mind isn't too easy). A FB friend has shown me some incredible shots with a TG 4 and just one single narrow angle light in microscopic mode, where he shines the light directly on the object from a close distance, leaving everything around in black. The effect is fantastic. My question : should I invest in a flipframe with macro (plus two colour filters thrown into the pack) for around € 200....go for a secondhand TG 4 with SeaFrogs housing for € 325..or hit my head on a bottle and go for a brandnew TG 6 with housing for € 675 ? My FB friend says he refers the TG 4 , btw...and he has got the TG 6 and a few more TGs.. All of this would be to get into macro photgraphy on a very very amateur scale..again - just for my own amusement. I have two kids, so could possibly get one of them to go filming with the GoPro whilst I do macro shots with the TG..if this is the route to go. Or I could be sensible and get the Flip, so that I can use the GoPro for filming and for macro photos, without burdening the kids with my hobby. Your opinion/advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a TG 4 with an Ikelite housing and love it. I have a GoPro 8 paired with it but IMO the video on the TG 4 is much better because you can manually set the WB

Thank you very much, al248005..not in my wildest dreams would I have thought that a TG can actually produce decent videos..so I could just use the TG for both, microscopic photos and videos, that is a great option. Out of interest - can you set White Balance once and forget about it for most of your dives ? Would you need to change between photo and video mode ?

I have a TG-6 and GoPro 10. I think the video quality of the TG-6 video is much better than the GoPro. I use the GoPro for wide-angle, expansive view video or when I don't feel like carrying the larger camera rig (Housing, Flash and video light). For Macro video (and photos), the GoPro can't touch the TG-6 in my opinion.

I have a TG-5, I love it, takes great pictures, I added a good strobe last year bought a smallish Video light this year to start shooting some video. While I was at it I bought a cold shoe mount for my old go pro 4. I intend to run the go pro in time lapse while switching between photo and video on the TG. I'll find out how it works out on July

I have a TG-6 and GoPro 10. I think the video quality of the TG-6 video is much better than the GoPro. I use the GoPro for wide-angle, expansive view video or when I don't feel like carrying the larger camera rig (Housing, Flash and video light). For Macro video (and photos), the GoPro can't touch the TG-6 in my opinion.
Thank you very much, Sevenrider 860. I understand that the TG is an absolute beast for macro/microscope photography..I am glad to hear that it also serves other purposes !

I have a TG-5, I love it, takes great pictures, I added a good strobe last year bought a smallish Video light this year to start shooting some video. While I was at it I bought a cold shoe mount for my old go pro 4. I intend to run the go pro in time lapse while switching between photo and video on the TG. I'll find out how it works out on July
Thank you , arew+4 ...is it complicated to switch between video and photo modes on the TG ? I can see myself with 5mm gloves...

Thank you very much, al248005..not in my wildest dreams would I have thought that a TG can actually produce decent videos..so I could just use the TG for both, microscopic photos and videos, that is a great option. Out of interest - can you set White Balance once and forget about it for most of your dives ? Would you need to change between photo and video mode ?
No you keep the same settings from your pics to your video. Whatever mode your shooting pictures in, there's a button you push to record video so m your not switching modes per say. Once your done recording you push the button again and it goes back to your picture mode.

5mm gloves can make anything complicated😉 but switching modes on the TG is much easier than on the go pro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom