GoPro Vs camera and marine casing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craigowen89

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys I'm new to scuba diving and want to get into underwater photography and videos!

I cannot make my mind up between buying a marine casing for my camera (panasonic ZX3 also known as ZR3)

or buying a GoPro 960p

the casing is around £190 and the GoPro £150 (but may need new flat lens)

this is the casing - Panasonic DMW-MCZX3 Underwater Housing For Lumix ZX3 - Best Price at Bristol Cameras

I like the mount idea with the GoPro and i could use it skiing also, but will the quality be much inferior?

thanks!

Craig

I like the mount idea with the GoPro and i could use it skiing also, but will the quality be much inferior?

Yes. You are comparing apples and oranges. The GoPro is an action sports camera. It has a fixed focus fish-eye lens with no aperature or shutter speed adjustments. It is built to be light and rugged at the expense of image quality. While it can take some good pictures and videos, it is not designed for serious photography. But it is a whole lot easier to take skiing or diving.

As a noob to diving however don't get in such a rush to start taking pictures. You will become both a danger to yourself and to the reef. Wait until you have at least 50 dives under your belt and have mastered your buoyancy and breathing before taking a camera in the water. And then if you must, go with the GoPro as it requires much less of your attention to operate. Go with the 1080P model as DMDavid suggested. Buying the 960 generally just leads to regrets.

Great advise. I had over 100 dives before I rented my 1st camera. My buoyancy was solid and my air consumption was good. I picked up the camera and sucked down an aluminum 80 in 30 minutes! The added concentration needed to shoot decent shots and maintain control without bouncing off the reef is very challenging. Unfortunately many good photographers seem to skip this point. It is the same reason alot of non-photogs don't like "us". Master your water skills and then remaster them when ever you add equipment or activities.

As far as the camera. The go pros are pretty cool but very limiting. If you go with a compact you will still have a solid camera for topside with the adjustment flexibility that will allow you to grow as your ability does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom