Gopro video test... 625ft (310m) down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What am I missing here? Whats the point of this test?

Without depth intervals on the decent this video isn't that interesting.

What am I missing here? Whats the point of this test?

YouTube video description..

"This video was made using a GoPro Hero camera (gen 1) and my own waterproof camera case.
The purpose was three fold:
1) to test the case itself
2) to test the lights
3)to see how GoPro cameras perform in low light condition, specifically underwater, and at greater depth."

---------- Post Merged at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:30 AM ----------

My ears are popping.

Catch anything?

Soon, we will be shooting videos in the 600 to 2500ft(hopefully) targeting tilefish, snapper,etc

"This video was made using a GoPro Hero camera (gen 1) and my own waterproof camera case.

Pic of the case?

Did you make the LED light cases too?

Cool video, video looks okay that deep. Wonder if there is anyway to use it as an underwater fishing cam to watch the output live? I know they have those fishing cams with the cable, is there any accessory where you can output the video live to the surface with the wifi backpac? That'd be a cool accessory to have.

Robert

Pic of the case?

Did you make the LED light cases too?

here is quick video of it...
[video=youtube_share;OBvC3n7r0H0]http://youtu.be/OBvC3n7r0H0[/video]

The light used for the video were scuba diving lights.
I'm working on an LED light for 2000ft deep or so...

---------- Post Merged at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Cool video, video looks okay that deep. Wonder if there is anyway to use it as an underwater fishing cam to watch the output live? I know they have those fishing cams with the cable, is there any accessory where you can output the video live to the surface with the wifi backpac? That'd be a cool accessory to have.

Robert

Live feed via cable is doable as long as the camera stays fairly close to the surface. Live feed does have lots of challenge once you want to go really deep (600+ft). O
ne, the cable itself weighs quite a bit. It has to be stored/ deployed from a large reel.
Two, due to the thickness of the cable, there is a lot of drag. This drag causes the cable to have a big belly (slack in a shape of a u). If you want to go over a specific area, the large belly in the cable will decrease your situational awareness. Trying to understand how your boat drifts in relation to the shipwreck and how deep and how far your camera becomes very difficult.
Three, it really depends on what you are after... are you looking to see the fish come into your spread, maybe hit a ballyhoo or a lure? If that is what you're after, you don't need a lot of cable out and that would work fine. But if you are after getting the entire clip of the fish hitting you lure, then fighting it etc, you can't do it with a cable.
I got into this because I'm avid fisherman and i wanted to learn more about the fish and their behavior. I did away with live feed/cable because it would not offer the videos I was after. My gopro is mounted on a homebuilt stabilizing system and my own case. I had to do that because I am after recording videos like this [video=youtube_share;oM_-2sdHRmM]http://youtu.be/oM_-2sdHRmM[/video]
I get the real fish eyeview. The whole gizmo is rigged on a 50w with 200lb dacron. Everything is done by feel since I can't see anything. The dacron is so thin that is has very little drag and I can fish/video almost always vertically. With a little pratice, you can tell if you are on sandy bottom, rocks or algae...
I have lots of fun shooting these videos...
take care
Frank

As far as wifi, you will need some sort of antenna/float combo coming from your camera,reaching the surface so that the wifi can be transmitted. (wifi doesn't work underwater).

Reactions: Pao
That's cool, thanks.

Of course, now I want you to try a 3D housing, though I'm not sure I'd want to watch you jigging in 3D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom