Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtle Friend

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear Scubaboard-Team,

I currently own a GoPro Hero 5 black with GoPro supersuit and red filter, but without any other underwater phography equipment (no tray, strobes, lights, dome, arms...). Currently I am considering to upgrade the camera in 1 or 2 years to a Nikon Z7, Sony alpha 7 R IV, Sony Alpha 6500 or Canon EOS R. But as you can see my thoughts are not mature yet and I want to wait for such an investment. However, I want to enhance my photos/movies already now and thus I want to start buying a tray, lights, strobes and arms for the existing GoPro. However, I also want to avoid buying needed equiment twice (e.g. 1 tray now for GoPro and another one for upgraded camera). While I presume lights, strobes and arms are rather universal and could be reused also with a different camera in future (if I stick e.g. to ball mounts), my question is whether there is any limitation for the tray. Thus questions are:
  1. So can I buy any tray which would fit to the GoPro and reuse it for one of above mentioned camera?
  2. Do you not recommend that (e.g. because one tray is easier to be balanced for 1 camera)?
  3. How would it be for strobes, arms and light?
  4. Would you have any recommendation for such a tray?
Thanks
Turtlefriend

Dear Scubaboard-Team,

I currently own a GoPro Hero 5 black with GoPro supersuit and red filter, but without any other underwater phography equipment (no tray, strobes, lights, dome, arms...). Currently I am considering to upgrade the camera in 1 or 2 years to a Nikon Z7, Sony alpha 7 R IV, Sony Alpha 6500 or Canon EOS R. But as you can see my thoughts are not mature yet and I want to wait for such an investment. However, I want to enhance my photos/movies already now and thus I want to start buying a tray, lights, strobes and arms for the existing GoPro. However, I also want to avoid buying needed equiment twice (e.g. 1 tray now for GoPro and another one for upgraded camera). While I presume lights, strobes and arms are rather universal and could be reused also with a different camera in future (if I stick e.g. to ball mounts), my question is whether there is any limitation for the tray. Thus questions are:
  1. So can I buy any tray which would fit to the GoPro and reuse it for one of above mentioned camera?
  2. Do you not recommend that (e.g. because one tray is easier to be balanced for 1 camera)?
Thanks
Turtlefriend

1) You can get a tray that has a standard tripod mount attachment and get the adapter needed for your gopro. When you upgrade, you can still use that same tray or if you don't upgrade, you can easily sell it to someone else. If you can get some handles on your tray, that will also help with stability when you shoot videos or photos.

2) Strobes will not work with a GoPro. You will need to get lights. I would suggest getting 1-2 video lights that are bright (3000+ lumens). Try to get as much lumen as you can with your budget. It's fine to use something on low setting but if you don't have the lumens you can't get more underwater if you want it or need it. When you upgrade, you can use this as a focus light or as video lights. You can mount it on a triple clamp on the arms where your strobes are or you can mount it on the shoe of your housing in the future. You can also use them just as regular dive lights.

3) For arms, I do not like the flex arms. They are inexpensive and easy to adjust and work well for a GoPro system now, but you will eventually want arms with ballmount ends and clamps.

4) A tray depends on your budget. I always knew that I wanted a Nauticam housing that can be used with a trigger so try to futureproof yourself. If that is your same desire, you can get a Nauticam tray that will accommodate a trigger for the housing you may want, as an example.

Dear Scubaboard-Team,
Would you have any recommendation for such a tray? Turtlefriend

Well I used my own DIY tray which you could make yourself from plastic. The handles are just tubed plastic with the standard size thread for go pro screws.

10100.jpg

10098.jpg

Strobes will not work with a GoPro. You will need to get lights. .

Yup I am now using Big Blue VL4200P video lights for my setup. They are power adjustable so you can use low power settings on night dives or in cavities or under reef walls. I bought a camera but I now mount my Go Pro in the dry port of the camera housing.

This video was taking using one hand held Big Blue light and the Go Pro as I had just gotten them and had not sorted out my mount for it.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

Although some people think the stick on pads will come off they do not. My Olympus TG6 uses screws that fit into the housing. The tray is like a wing glides through the water.... and can also be st down to leave it to film video.

The lanyards from the lights actually are just like a small noose and I tie them to the go pro screws under the housing. Two handles for when you want to track marine life like turtles.

TG6 MOUNT.jpg

1) You can get a tray that has a standard tripod mount attachment and get the adapter needed for your gopro. When you upgrade, you can still use that same tray or if you don't upgrade, you can easily sell it to someone else. If you can get some handles on your tray, that will also help with stability when you shoot videos or photos.
Thanks outofofficebrb. Will definetly buy a tray with standard tripod with handles mount attachment with GoPro adapter.
4) A tray depends on your budget. I always knew that I wanted a Nauticam housing that can be used with a trigger so try to futureproof yourself. If that is your same desire, you can get a Nauticam tray that will accommodate a trigger for the housing you may want, as an example.
I was checking the Nauticam trays because I consider also Nauticam with trigger for the setup with the upgraded camera. So same desire than yours. :) However, I saw that the Nauticam housings have already an integrated tray, how do I futureproof myself if I buy now a Nauticam tray and in future I anyway will have a Nauticam housing with an integrated tray?

Thanks outofofficebrb. Will definetly buy a tray with standard tripod with handles mount attachment with GoPro adapter.

I was checking the Nauticam trays because I consider also Nauticam with trigger for the setup with the upgraded camera. So same desire than yours. :) However, I saw that the Nauticam housings have already an integrated tray, how do I futureproof myself if I buy now a Nauticam tray and in future I anyway will have a Nauticam housing with an integrated tray?

my housing was separate from my tray and handles - they were separate line items on my invoice....but it was a compact (Sony RX 100 series)

Dear Scubaboard-Team,

Thanks
Turtlefriend

The cameras that you mention (Nikon Z7, Sony alpha 7 R IV, Sony Alpha 6500 or Canon EOS R) when housed, the housing typically would have integrated handles and therefore do not need a "tray" or other support. The arms and strobe and/or video lights mount directly to the integrated housing handles.

Video lights may can be reused with a more advanced system but a GoPro cannot utilize a strobe.

Here's a full tutorial on keeping your GoPro Stable using a handle/tray system, along with specific product recommendations:
How to Keep Your GoPro Steady Underwater

1) Since you're looking at cameras of different sizes, I would get a tray/handles specifically for the GoPro (see article above). Many mirrorless and DSLR housings have handles integrated, so you're better off getting the best solution based on camera and housing brand you choose. All arms, clamps and lighting will carry over from GoPro to the new system.
2) See above.
3) See above.
4) See the link above for recommendations for GoPro handles/trays and kits.

Lastly, here are a LOT more GoPro Tutorials (best settings, video tips, etc): GoPro Underwater Video Tutorials

Good luck!

Dear Scubaboard-Team,

Thanks
Turtlefriend

What @Nemrod said.

Your GoPro cannot trigger strobes, so no point buying them yet.

If you intend to shoot video with your Future Camera, then buying good video lights now is probably worthwhile.

Whatever tray you buy for a GoPro is almost certainly not going to carry over to a "real" camera. Get a cheap one for your GoPro.

If you buy good clamps and ball arms now, you can use them with your GoPro tray and video lights and then carry them over to your Future Camera rig. But, those things are a pretty minor expense compared to what you're going to spend overall, for your Future Camera rig. I would just go fairly cheap on those, for now, and buy good ones when you buy the housing for your Future Camera.

And I say that having done it myself, recently. I went from a cheap housing, tray, arms, and clamps, to, well, expensive on all of the above. I would have saved a small amount of money, overall, if I had bought the more expensive arms and clamps up front. But, the money "lost" is small, in the grand scheme of cameras and housings. And, I now how 2 complete rigs, instead of one cannabalized to build another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom