GoPro super suit 200 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daved222269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Next week I will be doing a lot of diving between 160-205 ft. I have a GoPro 9 with the standard super suit case rated to 196 feet. I’m nervous pushing the limits right to its rating. What are peoples experiences with diving to close to 200 feet? I don’t want to ruin my camera, but I also don’t want to not capture video. It’s not in the budget at this time for a deep dive housing. Any input is appreciated, thank you

No experience with a gopro housing, but I have taken a 165' rated ikelite to 180'. The housing itself was fine, no damage, no leaking. What didn't work was the buttons because the springs weren't strong enough to push back out against the ambient pressure and/or the housing back was warped just enough that the pins on the housing buttons no longer lined up with the camera buttons.

Ultimately, I could shoot video with it, but not change any settings. I had to go back up to 160 to change anything. I was also on air, so I had to go back up to 160 to figure out what was wrong anyway. It was the last time I did 180 on air.

I would think that as long as your aren't needing to interact with the housing during the deep parts, you'll be fine. You could always take the housing down with a paper towel stuffed in there and no camera for the first dive to see if it leaks or not.

I've taken my 7s down to ~230 with the standard housing.

Start it recording at shallow depths and leave it alone until you get back, should have no troubles. Make sure main seal is nice and clean.

Pressing buttons deep and generally messing with it down there is when you'll have problems. You'll see the back start to collapse into the screen too and make it go wonky.

-m

I have a 7 w/ their super suit and have taken it to 60m with no problems.

Do a double-check that there's no hair/debris caught in the seal.

Same as the others, set it on the descent and don't touch anything at depth. Just film it all and edit in post. The buttons don't work at depth and it will stop recording if a button jams.
I used to do this, then I bought a better deeper housing.

You could also get the go pro subscription as an insurance policy. Register you 9 and use their no questions asked replacement policy is the case fails.

Next week I will be doing a lot of diving between 160-205 ft. I have a GoPro 9 with the standard super suit case rated to 196 feet. I’m nervous pushing the limits right to its rating. What are peoples experiences with diving to close to 200 feet? I don’t want to ruin my camera, but I also don’t want to not capture video. It’s not in the budget at this time for a deep dive housing. Any input is appreciated, thank you

My friend takes his to 70m all the time no issues. Buttons work fine.

Very good advice about the buttons not functioning properly. Thank you all very much, I appreciate it. I’ll report back with how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom