GoPro Replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACHiPo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought a GoPro Hero7 several years ago. It still works great, but the video is basically unusable as GoPro no longer supports non-WiFi models so I can’t edit.

There doesn’t seem to be any benefit to sticking with GoPro as all my accessories don’t work with newer models.

What is the current recommendation for a GoPro-like video/still underwater camera?

Thanks!

What does this mean?

I had a GoPro 7 but it was acting wonky- a known issue where it doesn't shut off unless you hit the button a few times and it was a real annoyance at depth, so I upgraded to a 10. The only improvement I found was better image stabilization.

But I digress. When I want to edit, I simply hook the standard USB-C cable from camera to PC, upload the files, delete all of those worthless index files, import the video clips into Filmora (my video editor of choice) and edit the movie there.

What's all this about non-wifi support? One of the first things I did was turn off wifi to save battry life, I don't find it the least bit useful.

Hero7 is my "new" video cam. I just pop the SD card out and plug it into my computer to transfer files. Just use a big enough video card to hold your video from 2 dives if you don't want to open the case. (And be sure you use one of the brands of micro SD cards listed as "approved" - otherwise you camera may suddenly decide not to record any more in the middle of a dive. Search the web for info; I learned the hard way.)

Hero7 is my "new" video cam. I just pop the SD card out and plug it into my computer to transfer files.

Easier to just plug the camera in with a standard USB cable than mess around with that micro card.

I used the GoPro Quick editing application for quick edits. GoPro no longer updates this app, nor does it work anymore without a subscription and without WiFi.

I have another editing suite Movie Studio. It works ok, but it very time consuming and I don't use it often enough to be efficient, so basically a PITA. I really liked the Quick application, but GoPro has lost me as a customer, so I'm looking for an alternative (I do not like being abandoned as a customer, ie forced obsolescence)

Thanks for the responses--to summarize, the GoPro works fine if you don't rely on their proprietary editor?

GoPro Quik is being updated, according to Google Play mine was just updated August 8th. I am betting there will be another update in a couple of days for the new GoPro cameras being announced tomorrow. And you can still do basic edits without a subscription or account.

I honestly only ever use the Quik app for firmware updates and setting up my GoPro quick settings (you can now switch between presets while in the UW housing). I do my editing either on my iPad with Lumafusion or on my computer using Final Cut Pro.

In the action camera space you have DJI, GoPro, and Insta360. IMHO GoPro has the highest image quality if you know what you are doing. DJI is a close second, as long as you don't use that color sensor. Insta360's Ace Pro objectively has the best out of the camera quality in that the white balance and metering adapt better for a wide variety of situations, but it also heavily processes the video and there isn't any one to really turn off their vivid colors and sharpening.

GoPro has the new GoPro 13 coming out tomorrow, there are leaks at what it will do such as interchangeable lenses and finally true HDR support. I am waiting to see what it can do in comparison videos that will be coming out soon.

GoPro Quik is being updated, according to Google Play mine was just updated August 8th. I am betting there will be another update in a couple of days for the new GoPro cameras being announced tomorrow. And you can still do basic edits without a subscription or account.

I honestly only ever use the Quik app for firmware updates and setting up my GoPro quick settings (you can now switch between presets while in the UW housing). I do my editing either on my iPad with Lumafusion or on my computer using Final Cut Pro.

In the action camera space you have DJI, GoPro, and Insta360. IMHO GoPro has the highest image quality if you know what you are doing. DJI is a close second, as long as you don't use that color sensor. Insta360's Ace Pro objectively has the best out of the camera quality in that the white balance and metering adapt better for a wide variety of situations, but it also heavily processes the video and there isn't any one to really turn off their vivid colors and sharpening.

GoPro has the new GoPro 13 coming out tomorrow, there are leaks at what it will do such as interchangeable lenses and finally true HDR support. I am waiting to see what it can do in comparison videos that will be coming out soon.
I guess I need to look at it again. The Quik audio editing no longer worked a year ago when I last tried it, and GoPro's website said clearly that non-WiFi models would no longer be supported (I think Hero >10?). After a few hours of messing with it, and not wanting to spend time relearning the other video editor again I gave up.

We have a trip to Fiji coming up next year, and I want to capture it (and be able to easily edit it). Thus the question.

GoPro's website said clearly that non-WiFi models would no longer be supported (I think Hero >10?).

That is only for camera control and media transfer. You need to plug in the card to transfer. You can edit any sort of video in the Quik app, even non-GoPro video.

That is only for camera control and media transfer. You need to plug in the card to transfer. You can edit any sort of video in the Quik app, even non-GoPro video.
I will have to try again. I was unable to do what I used to do with files even though I could see them in Quik. I know that audio was a problem (I could not add music). Making quick movies or whatever it was called also didn't work anymore.

I believe the old app supported transfers but it was super slow IIRC. I never really used Quik much,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom