GoPro purchase assistance..please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

I have a PM into a member asking about his/her setup on GoPro, but figure I could ask her as well. I've taken video/photos underwater before with traditional setups. This time around, I'm looking for a relatively cheaper alternative because I don't get to dive as much anymore.

Here are some basic questions...feel free to send me a link if these were asked already.

1) How does it attach to my head? Helmet? Is everything included to do that?
2) There is a red filter now? Can it be easily removed/put back on while underwater?
3) Focusing on video only, what controls can you get to while underwater or is it on for the duration of your dive?
4) During a dive, if properly mounted, does it shift or need any attention? Last thing I want is to be messing with something on my head the entire dive. :)
5)If it can be powered on/off during a dive...is there a way to see if it's on or off or do you bring a mirror or use your buddy?

Lastly, what setup would you recommend?

Thanks,

Jason

Don't attach it to your head - 99.9999% of head mounted under water gopro vids I have see suffer severely from lookylooitis.....that is there is lots of rapid head movement that does not translate well for viewers. :) Use a pole, results are awesome:

iPole Mini - FastCap - Woodworking Tools

That + the GoPro tripod mount piece work wonderfully well.

Buy the wasabi 2 battery kit and charger off of amazon to give you 3 batteries. I leave mine on the whole dive and just use the button to start / stop recording. Swap batteries between dives.

You can see if it is on if you look at the front LCD screen. On the Hero 2 there are 3 recording lights so you can see when it is recording easily.

Be sure to use a flat lens housing and a red filter for under water. Red filter for deeper than 20 feet.

Thanks Brules. I am counting on wearing this on my head though. That would be a deal breaker if it can't be done securely...but i'm sure it can.

you can use the gopro head strap under a hood if you like. Just be aware of your head movements.

It must be psychological but when I video a shot for 1min then play it back later on the computer it feels like 20 seconds (even though the full minute elapses).

So if you stare at something for 10 seconds thinking "ok, that's good", you'll likely be disappointed when you play it on the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom