GoPro Mounted Directly to Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen a few threads indicating that you might get decent videos with the GoPro Hero using a single UW light source. Has anyone tried mounting the GoPro directly on the flashlight? If so, which light have you used, and how did you mount it?

I have just started using a GP mounted on a UK light cannon (no blur fix yet). The first video had a hot spot because the beam was too focused. I fitted a milk jug diffuser both over the lens and in front of the reflector and it has almost eliminated the hot spot but it is still a work in progress. A video of it can be seen here. One benefit of the fish eye lens is that you can turn the light around and shoot yourself.

cultus lake old marina site.wmv - YouTube

Here's a quick grip mount I threw together for my Dorcy Dive II/Penetrator 220 light.

DSC00473.jpg

Parts List:
2-in-1 hand held grip/mini tripod (like this: New 2 in 1 Hand Held Grip /Mini Tripod for Digital Camera | Linkdelight.com)
GoPro rollbar mount
5" Mending Plate
Two - 5mm x 0.8mm x 70mm tap bolts
Two - 5mm x 0.8mm wing nuts
Eight - 5mm x 0.8mm hex jam nuts
One - 1/4"-20 wing nut

Step 1: Cut the 5" mending plate down to size. The predrilled holes are the perfect width apart to accomodate the rollbar mount. I used a Dremel tool to file down the sharp corners and round them out.
DSC00454.jpg

Step 2: Replace the original rollbar mount bolts with new (longer) 5mm x 0.8mm x 70mm tap bolts and attach 4 5mm x 0.8mm hex jam nuts to each bolt. (In the pic there are 5 on each bolt. I ended up taking one off of each side)
DSC00464.jpg

Step 3: Attach light to rollbar mount ensuring the top of the mount curves towards the BACK of the light.
DSC00475.jpg

Step 4: Attach mending plate to grip mount with 1/4"-20 wing nut.
DSC00461.jpg

Step 5: Insert bolts from rollbar mount into mending plate and fasten with 5mm x 0.8mm wing nuts.
DSC00471.jpg

Step 6: Attach GoPro and enjoy! :)
DSC00472.jpg

I believe people have gotten some good results with it, you'd want to have a really nice wide beam since the GoPro is such a wide angle field of view. Otherwise you'll get a hotspot....

Back
Top Bottom