GoPro monopod with video light attachment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacawGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone found a gopro pole that also the capacity to attach a light, or a clever way to do it yourself? I was wondering if I could use the Ikelite gamma attachment (#1884) to attach the gamma LED light to my UK Pole. Any other suggestions or success stories?

I had just about given up on my gopro- it's older than the HD versions, and I've always been frustrated with video quality (I still give up on stills). I was considering upgrading to a Canon G15, but then on my recent trip to Hawaii my partner surprised me with a camera pole, and the videos got so much better with the flexibility that I'm now considering investing in a Hero3+ instead of a Canon. However, I'd like to be able to add a video light to the pole to improve on color, since using my handheld flashlights usually end up whitening out the shots rather than enhancing color. I'm hoping someone's had a similar question and figured out a good solution. Thanks!

There are many kinds of light clamps you can find on ebay. I use a clamp that clamps on the pole on one side, and clamps my light on the other side. Perfect for one hand solution.

Sent from Tapatalk mobile

I reconfigured my BTS GoPro tray to adopt my Sealife Aquapod. All I had to do was replace my tripod adapter with a longer screw. It was a good temporary idea. After a while, the threading got kind of messed up but it lasted me a while! I mounted a SOLA 1200 and 2000 to it. Check out the centoe video to see the results (watch in HD)!
487395_605992069422022_1315335477_n.jpg
[video=youtube;mJ7gewTZSu4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ7gewTZSu4&list=UUtq4yWFZzzywkL5U5hffwww[/video]

Just so you're aware of it, the Gamma is not a video light. It has a 10o beam angle, your GoPro has a 170o field of view. So your videos - especially at night - will be a bright spot surrounded by a much darker ring.

There are some inexpensive video lights with a 110o beam angle that are much better suited for your use. Something like this: Manufacturer :: iTorch :: iTorch Video Pro5+ Video Light -

Another option is the UK video light. While it's only a 90o beam, it has two handy threaded holes in the bottom that you might be able to mount it with. It only has 1/3rd the light output of the Itorch though. Manufacturer :: Underwater Kinetics :: Underwater Kinetics Aqualite Video Light - Two might be better for coverage.

I reconfigured my BTS GoPro tray to adopt my Sealife Aquapod. All I had to do was replace my tripod adapter with a longer screw. It was a good temporary idea. After a while, the threading got kind of messed up but it lasted me a while! I mounted a SOLA 1200 and 2000 to it. Check out the centoe video to see the results (watch in HD)!

Thanks for the advice, and for sharing the rig setup! You're okay with managing it underwater, it's not too top heavy? I find myself holding it sideways most of the dive until I want to shoot, so I was thinking single light to keep it more manageable at first. Your video was great.

Sealife makes one that might be what you are looking for. Couple that with one of the seadragon lights and it might work for you.

Edit, sorry I didn't see the earlier post. The reason I mention it is that I saw one today at the dive shop. it had a mount for the mini 600 seadragon light and it looked like a good solid package to me. it is of course the one on the left.

sealife-sea-dragon-mini-600-mounts.jpg

AquaPod | Sealife Cameras

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's replies. Right now I think I've narrowed it down to two possible setups.
1. Get a new tray and pole from Beneath the Surface and use their hardware kit to connect them. It's the Model #1 tray, pretty small in size. II'd post a photo but can't figure out how to.
2. Use my current UK Pro Pole 22 and attach a video light to it with a lockblock.
I haven't picked a video light, but after reading and searching around I'm thinking the iTorch Pro5 is good for me, and a decent price. I don't know which setup yet, but I'll post a final picture and pictures from my next dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom