GoPro Hero3+, Color Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atlas_shrugged

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recall that the previous models of GoPro Heroes had issues with color correction where filters were required at deeper depths, where there were after market products available.

I have a new GoPro Hero3+ Black on the way for an upcoming Burma diving trip. This will be my first GoPro.

I'd like to confirm if I need to consider purchase of a color filter for the new 3+ model. Can you please advise?

Also, are the anti-fog inserts going to be required? I think so, but also seek your confirmation.

Thank you!

Yes, you will need a red filter for the 3+. The housing is different for the 3+ vs the 3, so there is only one filter that I am aware of that fits the 3+ currently - Snake River Precision (SRP). That's what I have and it worked great on my trip to Bonaire last week.

And yes, the anti fog dessicant strips should still be used, though it is a tight fit in the new 3+ housing.

Hi All,

I recall that the previous models of GoPro Heroes had issues with color correction where filters were required at deeper depths, where there were after market products available.

I have a new GoPro Hero3+ Black on the way for an upcoming Burma diving trip. This will be my first GoPro.

I'd like to confirm if I need to consider purchase of a color filter for the new 3+ model. Can you please advise?

Also, are the anti-fog inserts going to be required? I think so, but also seek your confirmation.

Thank you!

If you are not using artificial light while shooting underwater you absolutely need a red filter to bring back some of the color loss at depth. And depending on how deep you are diving and water clarity you may need several filters. Unfortunately there isn't a "one-size fits all" solution.

From my experience, shooting mostly in clear warm water, filters work best down to ~40-50 feet on a bright day and filters made out of glass worked better for me than the acrylic filters.

When I was shooting with the original GoPro HD I prefered the URPro filters with the Snake River Prototyping blur fix which I could not exchange underwater. Now you have a variety of wet filters which you can replace underwater.

Here are some options:
Hero3 and Hero3+ Filter Adapters
Products Archive - GoPro - Polar Pro Filters
Underwater Camera Articles: Backscatter Flip3.1 Underwater Color Correction Filter for GoPro Hero3 cameras

They don't all work with the 3+ housing so whatever you choose to get make sure it will fit the 3+ housing.

Many thanks for your advice. I ended up purchasing the Red filter from SRP that's designed for the 3+ housing. Also purchased their Tray at the same time.

Did you get the basic water-proof housing? This is the housing with no screws on the outside of the lens. In addition to the old filters not fitting on this new housing, the housing is only rated for 40m (131'). You can purchase the old housing good to 60m (197') from GoPro. It will work with all the old filters, it has a harder to open housing and it is good to 60m.

If you don't get the old housing remember you want to keep it above 40m (I'd play it safe and stay about 30m (98')).

i have a question. i just bought a gopro 3+ and have never used it. i plan on using it next week. i also bought a seaquest aquapod(gopro pole). i dive in socal(i.e cold saltwater). what kind of filter do i need for this type of environment? i took a look at the SRP page but can't make sense of any of the filter terminology. it also doesn't really give an explanation(unless i missed it). also, the description of the filter show its made for tropical blue water so im not sure what to get.

thanks

@mangoconchile: We dive Catalina quite often and usually use the Red Filter which works well 90% of the time. Occasionally the water swings very green in SoCal especially near Laguna/San Diego and you will want to use a Magenta Filter.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom