GoPro Hero2 Settings For Cozumel in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bushman66

Registered
Reaction score
So I have my friends GoPro Hero2, just wanted to try the whole GoPro thing out before I buy one. He hasn't ever used it so he's no help, LOL. I have the clip on red filter and will likely use some kind of pole/monopod mount.

My question, I don't have a lot of time to play with this, so wanted to know what settings I should be filming with? I'll be filming a bunch of 1-2 minute clips (per advice given on this board) and trying to make a nice movie in iMovie on the Mac.

thanks!

We used our GoPro3 Black Ed for diving first time a week ago in Grand Cayman. Using the red filter and 1080p 60 per sec on wide (I think the Hero 2 only does 30 fps). We found medium field of view was too narrow on initial dives and switched it to wide, but you need to get as close as possible to your subject for best results. Here's what we put together with Final Cut Pro X: Diving in Grand Cayman - YouTube The Kittiwake was at max depth of 65ft and the turtle was at the 95-100 ft curve.
Going forward I'm going to add a tray and some lights to improve it. Hope that helps.

For the Hero2, I preferred 1080 30fps with protune on. You will probably need to download a firmware update to get protune if your friend has never used it. 720p 60fps is an option as well but I found that the 30fps video does much better in lower light situations. As for videos, it is a LOT easier to edit if you take short clips instead of recording the full dive. Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
One piece of advise I received last year, was to use a class 10 rated sd card.
I used 1080p wide settings, and was pleased with the results.
I would also recommend taking short clips. Enjoy your trip.

I recommend you take the GoPro and walk around outdoors at your house today, practice on and off, pause, on and off, about a dozen clips. Then go inside your house and download, look at the footage. Learn what worked and didn't. Go outside and repeat. In as little as 1 hour, you will have the basics down.

A big reason for doing this.... I seem to have a brain fart every time I get in the water with my video rig the first day. I forget which is the pause button, on button, etc... takes me a few seconds, then the big eagle ray or whatever has already swam off. I practice the day before a trip all the time now, just so I don't screw up the first day on my trip.

robin

Good tip Robin, thanks. I bought the GoPro 22 pole and tried various settings, it looks like the 1080P-30 gives the most pleasing picture. I'll practice with it, although I know holding it in the water will be a bit different.

What is ProTune and what does it do? I think you are right, as none of the menu options mention Protune.

ProTune gives you a less compressed file with a higher bitrate. It allows the video to have more detail but it takes up more space. Just download gopro's cineform software and you should be able to update the Hero2 firmware from there. Enjoy!

just remember, when you have it mounted on a pole, every movement will be magnified even more! I think those poles are cool for some topside stuff, but underwater I really don't see the point due to the movement issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom