Gopro Hero 4 for macro and stills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have inherited Eric’s gopro when I upgraded him to the 6. Since he has the videos well managed and I have proven less then skilled at that I hope to use the Hero for for macro and clossup stills. And not surprisingly I find that I really don’t know what I am doing so welcome all advice.

I obviously have the camera and also inherited the two lenses, Macro Mini and 10x along with the flip 3 filters. I have ordered a Beanth the Surface Model 4 tray and two DGE video lights.

So, my first and most important question. What setting do I use? Do I use video then take the stills from that? Should I use the combo setting video+ photo? I know focus length and stabilization are critical. This will mostly be drift diving. :(

Thanks guys. All help appreciated.

Posting here to avoid hijacking that other thread about trays.

What settings do you plan to us for macro? Are you trying for video or stills? I hope to try some Macro during our upcoming trip but it is Cozumel and well you know what the current can do there. Focus will be a killer. I am thinking 4k video then grabbing stills from that. Or use burst to get multiple shots and hope one is in focus.

I want to take video--a few seconds at a time--of things like nudibranchs. The original purpose of buying the GoPro was simply to record what I saw for later identification. But I want to do a little more than that now. I like the videos I see where something small is swaying gently in the current. I haven't actually tried taking macro since buying the lights, but for other purposes I have been using the Quick Capture mode to save battery power. I have it set on medium-angle rather than wide or narrow--I think I recall that's what Backscatter recommended. I don't recall what resolution I have it set for, but I know it's neither the highest nor lowest. So far, the resolution of video I have taken looks good enough to me. As for other settings, I guess they are still set to whatever the defaults are.

I tried using a macro lens for the first time on my last trip and it is quite humbling. Half my videos are being scrapped right off the bat. You have to be close, really close. I have some video that would be a really great clip except it's fuzzy. Frustrating. I'm using the Backscatter macromate and it is great inside 8 inches. There seems to be a range 12-18 inches where it is too close for the stock lens and too far for the macro.

Another thing is when you're that close it is really hard to be steady. Look at something with your phone camera and try to hold it steady. Now zoom all the way in and try to hold it steady. Small motions are amplified. You almost need a tripod or brace.

Take it off Wide field of view. The macro lens is considerably bulkier. In wide, I can see the lens edges and those videos will need cropping.
@ReefHound . I copied your reply here to avoid hijacking the other thread as well. Will post more shortly.

Thanks for the info. I am not expecting too much this trip but will let you know how it goes. Don't plan to even try macro any dive with significant current. I have a cheap tripod that Eric has modified to attach to the tray. Could prove interesting.

Will post back with results.

For macro, I would recommend shooting Narrow mode, 1080p at 60fps. That said, I haven't used the Macro Mate, so would default to the field of view Backscatter recommends. Also, I would shoot photos or videos, not both. This will deliver best image quality for the still photos.

I actually published a guide to GoPro Underwater Settings on my website last week.

One tip for the still photos is to set the camera on timelapse and 0.5s (mentioned in my article). This way you're capturing a number of stills as you drift by the subject. Hope this helps!

Hi, hopefully four months isn't considered dredging up a post. Just want to add some cents.
I have a GPH 3+ without screen using both Macromate mini +15 and the +10 macro on a flip. I continuously take video at Medium mode at 30 fps. I read somewhere that at a lower framerate you'll get more light per frame. Then I go through VLC and use the next-frame hotkey to find the sharpest pic. The suggestion to just put it on timelapse is a great one. I might do that moving forward.

Some shots with the macromate. Nudibrach vid, Octopus vid, sea snail pic.

Back
Top Bottom