GoPro Hero 3 or Canon G16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoe86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I've been given the OK for a new camera. My Canon G9/Ikelite setup is fine, but there have been some nice advances since I bought it. I have to admit, I'm not the best photographer and really am not looking to become an expert. I dive for relaxation so take pictures just to share with family and friends. I'm considering a Canon G16/Nauticam setup (definitely more camera than I need), but keep thinking a GoPro Hero 3+ with a tray and light package might be a nice option. I'd love to hear some thoughts on those 2 options. I'm a vacation diver, but have a trip to the Galapagos planned and thought the GoPro might be easier to manage in high current. My wife will have her Canon Canon G12/FIX setup so we will have a camera available for no matter what choice I make.

I would not invest in a G series canon for video and generally I would not invest in a canon for video as they are so poor in settings control
GoPro Hero3 is good for ambient light wide angle, do not waste any time on lights, there are no options on the market to shoot true wide angle video except Keldan or Sola 85/90 degree and the sharks do not like it so save your money
You may want to consider that galapagos is not knows for the best conditions so a camera that does better in low light such a Sony RX100 or a Panasonic LX7 would probably be a better choice. A set with camera, tray a wide angle lens and a filter is enough to cover most of your galapagos shooting situations as there is no macro and limited small critters so lights are not essential

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom