Gopro Hero 3 Black. Crap at shooting stills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darkprincze

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Guys,

Just got my gopro Hero 3 Black. It is not without its quirks! Had a charging issue when it was turned on. Seems fine charging when it is off. Wifi is random when it comes to connecting to my ipad / iphone using gopro app. Menu sometimes jumps out of settings and back to shooting mode. Update has helped. I am willing to let these issues slide due to the fact that the video results are simply stunning. And there are so many options for video. But. I also tried taking a few stills with it. I mean, we have a whole menu on the gopro dedicated to this. 12mp still photos. And they were utterly crap. Unusable. Anyone any experience with this? I am over the moon with the video it is capable of. But still photo shooting underwater is no use. I managed to get a few shots where parts of the shot were in focus but not the bits I wanted.

Tips welcome.

Thanks Paul :)

Gopro is not a photo camera so do not expect miracles out of it.

Having said that gopro hero 3 black produces stunning photographs in amazing quality. I do not know what you were shooting, what settings you were using but every time I do time lapse stills, they look fabulous.

Can you describe what specifically is an issue in your photography attempt?

Apologies, I have had success with still photography above water. And can't wait to try out the time lapse mode, which is fine on a tripod or fixed shooting position. Underwater the stills are not great. That is my issue, yes I can lift them off video, but the gopro does sell itself as a 12mp still photography device. I have not had any success hand held underwater yet.

I really hope that you were using a red lens filter while taking photographs and you were taking photos in high light environment. Underwater cameras need strobes to photograph objects 1-3 feet away from camera. There are a lot of limitations to underwater photography and videography. A good understanding of what goes into either will be a great place to start your adventures.

It depends on your expectations. The Gopro are good for time lapse where you don't focus on the specific picture but more on the motion
If you look at a single still the results are worse than any decent camera you take underwater with a housing as the gopro sensor is tiny so pictures are usually grainy
You also get a good amount of blur as most times it shoots stills at 1/60
So if you are shooting a landscape the results may be acceptable, if you have closer shot you will notice the blur and lack of colors and light

Apologies, I have had success with still photography above water. And can't wait to try out the time lapse mode, which is fine on a tripod or fixed shooting position. Underwater the stills are not great. That is my issue, yes I can lift them off video, but the gopro does sell itself as a 12mp still photography device. I have not had any success hand held underwater yet.

Underwater, where there is much less light, you'll need to be extremely steady as theres a bigger chance it will all get blurry due to the low light. Adding a filter will decrease slightly the amount of light coming in, which will make it a little harder.

It's still possible - I personally prefer grabbing frames from 1080p video, but every now and you can get lucky and turn out with a decent still:

164662_10200774834435372_1277156916_n.jpg <- not captured from the 1080p, this is a still picture

(shot at around 45 feet, no lights, using an internal Eel Vision "BG" filter)

Last edited:
5p.jpg15Ray2.jpgpuffer2.jpg

This is example from a Hero2 pulled from video...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom