Gopro Handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kyle done

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm thinking of buying my first gopro for a future dive trip. What is the best way to use a gopro? Attach to snorkel mask,a tray? And are those colored filters worth getting?

You have many options for carrying the camera. The best methode depends on your goals and priorities. If you want a hands free, zero hassle means to capture video, then a head strap, or a mask mount may be best. However the quality of the video will be significantly degraded by head motion and looking around; you may get bubble interference as well. It is tough to get long steady clips from a head mount.

A hand held tray system will be much more stable, versatile, can carry light(s) and with some configurations, you can set it down and swim away and allow it to film an eel or some skitish organsim..or yourself.

We offer a wide variety of options and red filters too.

Here's a link to our products. The modular tray system might be the best compromise and you can add on arms, and lights and filters - if you feel the need later.

thanks

Dano

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

You have many options for carrying the camera. The best methode depends on your goals and priorities. If you want a hands free, zero hassle means to capture video, then a head strap, or a mask mount may be best. However the quality of the video will be significantly degraded by head motion and looking around; you may get bubble interference as well. It is tough to get long steady clips from a head mount.

A hand held tray system will be much more stable, versatile, can carry light(s) and with some configurations, you can set it down and swim away and allow it to film an eel or some skitish organsim..or yourself.

We offer a wide variety of options and red filters too.

Here's a link to our products. The modular tray system might be the best compromise and you can add on arms, and lights and filters - if you feel the need later.

thanks

Dano

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

Just want something to.take reef pictures during the day. Don't need any fancy lights. Do color filters actually improve.gopro?

Yes the colored filters do improve the quality of your photos. I use one manufactured by Snake River Prototyping.

The red filters will "add in" some of the red colors which are lost at depth. If you have good visibility, strong sunlight and not too deep, say 100 ft.. then a red filter will help. However, it is important to recognize that ALL filters function by removing some of the light energy. they work by subtracting and rebalancing rather than actually adding light.

So as you get to conditions with lower light levels, it is sometimes better to not use a filter, accept the bluer video and maybe manipulate in post-processing.. but that is probably not somehting you will be doing to start out.

A filter is relatively inexpensive and can definitely give you better images in 10 to 60 feet of clear bright water..

The filters absolutely make a difference, especially at depth. I use the Backscatter system of filters and brackets - Best GoPro Underwater Filter and Macro Lens - Filter Solutions for GoPro 3, 3+, 4

As far as mounting, I used to use the head band mount, tethered to my BC so I didn't lose it. It was great as a beginner videographer and relatively new diver since I turned it on and left it. I ended that set up when I had turned 20 minutes of Mako shark video into 52 usable seconds due to being out of frame. Now I use a home made go-pole with a hand held light. Not optimum, but inexpensive.

The filters absolutely make a difference, especially at depth. I use the Backscatter system of filters and brackets - Best GoPro Underwater Filter and Macro Lens - Filter Solutions for GoPro 3, 3+, 4

As far as mounting, I used to use the head band mount, tethered to my BC so I didn't lose it. It was great as a beginner videographer and relatively new diver since I turned it on and left it. I ended that set up when I had turned 20 minutes of Mako shark video into 52 usable seconds due to being out of frame. Now I use a home made go-pole with a hand held light. Not optimum, but inexpensive.

These any good?Amazon.com : SANDMARC Aqua Filter: Dive and Scuba Filter Set Accessory for GoPro Hero 4 and 3+ Cameras - 5 Pack - Standard Housing : Camera & Photo

I bought the Wocase filter from Amazon last year for 19.99,
and I'm surprised to see this Sandmarc at 29.99 because they apparently look 100% identical, except for the branding.

I use the 20-50ft filter mostly, it works well from descent to depth. Not a bad filter solution for the price.
The plastics can get tiny scratched easily, but doesn't matter when filming.

Back
Top Bottom