GoPro Flatlens and filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ih82bl8

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Firstly, I am a newbie to photography - my camera's are the point and shoot kind. :D

I have been looking through post about the Flatlens cases that can be bought and are tested to depth before they are shipped.

Sartek and Eyeofmine are the two that I heard the most about. I am thinking it really doesn't matter which one I choose as they are both good choices.

Question#1
Some talk about red fitlers and some do not..are they needed? I intend to do diving down to a max depth of 100ft.

question#2
With the two cases, can filters be purchased for either and is there a perference as to which one would be easier to apply a filter to?

Question#3
Where does one even get a filter for one of these units? I assume a photography store but not many threads talk about where to purchase.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if some of these questions have already been answered.

Cheers,
James

Generally you'll want a filter between 15' to +/- 60'. Above that it yellows everything and below that you may lose too much light. Typically this is in bright conditions like the Caribbean. There's also 2-3 different filters - one for blue water and one for green water, the third is a combo - shallow blue/green. URPro sells most of them to other housing mfr's. http://www.urprofilters.com/

Adorama sells some that you may be able to modify for use. Search for underwater filter. I think most might be too big though - and probably cost as much as the case.

IDK anything about either of the housings.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that a lot can be handled in post production if you're using something like Final Cut Pro....

Back
Top Bottom