GoPro Flat Lens Housing Filters - Place on Camera Before Dive or Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Really basic question here:
I have no experience with using filters. I have an Eye of Mine underwater housing for the GoPro and I have an Ikelite Cyan filter getting shipped. Is the filter put on before the dive or is it put on once you are underwater?

It all depends on the solution you have, with an EOM housing any filter you use can be put on underwater as the filter isn't being used for the focus fix like the blurfix. I hope you ordered a filter large enough to fit over the EOM flat lens. These arent perfectly round or an exact diameter so you will need to find a way to attatch it securely, I havent measured the size of mine but would guess its between 55 and 60mm.

If you want to record on the boat and the first few meters of decent without the red tinge you will get on the surface and very shallow water you would be best to put it on underwater at around the 5m mark and take it off again on the way up. I use the blurfix so I just keep my filters on all the time and just fix the red tinge effect in post which works quite well still.

Also if your using lights its best to take the filter off whilst using them to avoid the same issue.

All Ikelite filters are exterior mounts, and are put on in the water, as you need to burp out the air pocket.

With my old rig I would put the filter on to jump in, get down to about 30' depth then take off the filter, clear bubbles off filter and lens by waving your hand in front of them, then put the filter back on. It takes about 10-15 seconds. There is a lanyard on it for safety, so you never drop it.

robin

All Ikelite filters are exterior mounts, and are put on in the water, as you need to burp out the air pocket.

With my old rig I would put the filter on to jump in, get down to about 30' depth then take off the filter, clear bubbles off filter and lens by waving your hand in front of them, then put the filter back on. It takes about 10-15 seconds. There is a lanyard on it for safety, so you never drop it.

robin

Gotcha. Would this be really awkward with a headstrap mount?

Yeah it looks like the filter will be too awkward with the headstrap mount, since it requires some fidgeting around to slip it in place when I have the camera in my hand. I will save the filter for when I am confident enough to have a "rig" with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom