gopro filters size and color

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin'dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a GoPro Hero that my wife bought for me... Not a 3 or 4 or +, silver, black, but just a Hero like the one in the link below:
https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHA-301-HERO/dp/B00NIYNUXO
Whenever I look for a filter, it says it's for a Hero3 or Hero4, etc. I'm pretty sure the filters for a 3 or 4 would fit my camera but just wanted to make sure... Is there a different size for my camera vs the 3 or 4?

Also, I'm headed to Palau in a few weeks... I'd like to get a generic filter (or maybe a couple) to best record for that trip. Some colors specify for green water, blue water, shallow etc. What would be a good filter color for overall recording? I'm guessing that blue water is deep water? How deep? Green water is for...? And I guess shallow is 0'-20'? Is there a particular brand that is recommended? Glass vs plastic? I won't be using any video lights except for my hand held dive light if needed. I'm not looking to set the video industry on its head but just get some memorable clips to view after the trip.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I've done searches here and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Everything seems directed toward the 3 and 4, etc. Still trying to figure out this GoPro stuff...

dd

If you check GoPro's site, you can filter by Camera model, and clicking "Hero" shows that their standard filters would fit, which indicates that the Hero is the same as the other cameras.

I would suggest you contact the folks at Backscatter and see if they can give you a definite yes/no in of their excellent Flip system will fit that camera or not. They have multiple blue-water filters (for shallow and deep) as well as a green-water filter. Theirs are plastic, which for UW use is typically fine since the water negates any fine scratches that might get picked up.

+1 on contacting the Backscatter people. Their FLIP system of filters is good. The greenwater filter is usually for fresh water lake diving. They also have a shallow filter (to 20 ft), dive filter (for most conditions/depths) and then a deep water filter. Check 'em out at (FLIP4 Three Filter Kit with SHALLOW, DIVE & DEEP Filters for GoPro 3, 3+, 4)

Thanks for your replies... What are the different colors used for? Red is probably deep? Others?

go with the Flip4 Backscatter you won't regret it

3 shades of red one for up to 20,one for 20 to 50' and another for below 50', Yellow if your using UV lights, Magenta for green inland fresh water.

Well you folks aren't making it easy to ignore the Backscatter Flip4... Quality looks very good and videos seem to be very good.

I've searched the internet for prices and about the best I can find is the 3 filter set for $99 on Amazon or the Pro Package for $179. Anyone use the Pro Package with the +15 MacroMate? Quality of video with the MacroMate?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom