gopro dive filter question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oden1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been looking for a quality dive filter for my go pro. I really like Snake River Prototyping's dive filter but I don't want to spend $77. I have been browsing the internet and found what appears to be a quality mount. Fotodiox Pro WonderPana Go H3+ Underwater Kit - GoTough Filter Adapter System f/ GoPro HERO3+ Waterproof Housing Case with Two Water Correction (Pink and Purple) Filters The only problem, the kit only comes with two filters, purple and pink. Most of my diving occurs from 20'-80' so the pink filter wont be dark enough and the purple filter is mainly for greener waters. The website has an additional red filter Fotodiox Red #25 Filter but it isn't made for diving.

My question is - Would that red filter work or is it too deep or a red and the color come out too deep?

I don't have any real knowledge about cameras or filters so please be nice about it if this is a ridiculous question.

Thanks

I use a 55 mm URPRO Cyan (glass filter) mounted on a BlurFix3™ SO Naked adapter. Works well for me. This is the latest vid I shot in RAW/Protune mode; did not edit at all(this is how the colors came out after it was uploaded ). Personally, I would spend the $77 ( I purchased a few misc red filters, Hoya/Tiffen but have not tried them yet). The red filter should work down to 50-60 feet but the further down you go, the less color you will get. Lights work better when in deeper waters. Also, in theory you will get different results if the filter is deep red(i.e. the Fotodiox red 25), vs an orange filter. In the end, it's all about experimenting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyCHnElqP0Q

Be careful with using red photo filters. Another member posted a problem with using a plain red filter like that recently. Those types of filters are too red and dark and will give you horrible results. Stick to a filter designed for UW use.

I have been looking for a quality dive filter for my go pro. I really like Snake River Prototyping's dive filter but I don't want to spend $77. I have been browsing the internet and found what appears to be a quality mount. Fotodiox Pro WonderPana Go H3+ Underwater Kit - GoTough Filter Adapter System f/ GoPro HERO3+ Waterproof Housing Case with Two Water Correction (Pink and Purple) Filters The only problem, the kit only comes with two filters, purple and pink. Most of my diving occurs from 20'-80' so the pink filter wont be dark enough and the purple filter is mainly for greener waters. The website has an additional red filter Fotodiox Red #25 Filter but it isn't made for diving.

My question is - Would that red filter work or is it too deep or a red and the color come out too deep?

I don't have any real knowledge about cameras or filters so please be nice about it if this is a ridiculous question.

Thanks

Please take a look at our selection of filters. The MAKO Spearguns red filter should work fine in your intended depth..

GoPro Underwater and Polarizing Filters

MCCL-2.jpg

Hi oden1,
It's JennPenn from Backscatter. If you're still looking for red filters for your GoPro, check out our FLIP3.1 color correction system:
FLIP3.1 Underwater Color Correction System with DIVE Filter for GoPro Hero3 & Hero3+

Our rugged design is made from machined aluminum. The FLIP design lets you flip the filter into place when you want to use it, and out of the way when you don't, without risk of losing it. We also have 3 different red filters for blue water diving, a magenta filter for fresh or cold water diving and a yellow filter for night diving fluorescence. For added flexibility in your GoPro set-up, you can also add a top FLIP for adding another filter or lens.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom