GoPRo/Blurfix leaking on first test, any ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I just tested it with both filters and I did not see any water getting into filter area. I had to really screw the filters down to get the black ring though. I definitely did not have them that tight on Saturday. The only thing I noticed was after the CY filter test, when I removed the filter there was a tiny bit of water between the threads of the filter and the O ring seal in one area on the left side of the filter. No moisture had reached beyond the O ring. Is that normal?

.... The only thing I noticed was after the CY filter test, when I removed the filter there was a tiny bit of water between the threads of the filter and the O ring seal in one area on the left side of the filter. No moisture had reached beyond the O ring. Is that normal?

Yep, totally normal. The O ring is what seals the water out, so inside the O ring should be dry and outside will get wet.

I assembled my HD Hero2 and Blurfix last night. Inspecting it I'm seeing a couple of very small bubbles in the silicone while looking through the back. I'm taking it on a trip to Maui soon and other than a shallow pool, I have no way of testing it before the trip. If I test it at depth and it leaks, assuming that it would be the silicone seal, what is the best way to proceed? Do I need to somehow remove the silicone and start fresh? I wish I could really test it at depth before the trip.

Thanks

SXBB, Simetimes we see very small bubbles in the area outside of the flat surface where the screws go, and it's generally not an issue. If you would like, send me a picture to info@snakeriverprototyping.com and I will give my opinion if this needs to be reinstalled. If it does need to be reinstalled, it's not a big deal...it just takes a few minutes to clean off the cured silicone, and then redo the installion as you did before.

Thanks,
Bill
SRP

I assembled my HD Hero2 and Blurfix last night. Inspecting it I'm seeing a couple of very small bubbles in the silicone while looking through the back. I'm taking it on a trip to Maui soon and other than a shallow pool, I have no way of testing it before the trip. If I test it at depth and it leaks, assuming that it would be the silicone seal, what is the best way to proceed? Do I need to somehow remove the silicone and start fresh? I wish I could really test it at depth before the trip.

Thanks

I just took the kit with me just in case I needed to redo it. Also, when I first did the assembly back in US, I had some leaks in the pool, so I redid the assembly and like blurryfix said, it took a few minutes and it was redone. My biggest problem I had was getting the filters on tight enough. It took all my might but eventually it went on.

I just took the kit with me just in case I needed to redo it. Also, when I first did the assembly back in US, I had some leaks in the pool, so I redid the assembly and like blurryfix said, it took a few minutes and it was redone. My biggest problem I had was getting the filters on tight enough. It took all my might but eventually it went on.

I found that putting a very light coating of silicon lubricant (the type used on o-rings) on the threads of the filter made it much easier to put on and more importantly getting it off after diving in salt water.

I found that putting a very light coating of silicon lubricant (the type used on o-rings) on the threads of the filter made it much easier to put on and more importantly getting it off after diving in salt water.

Thanks. I think I'm going to try that. I really struggled with the CY filter. It just didn't seem to want to go down far enough. So hopefully the lubricant helps.

My biggest problem I had was getting the filters on tight enough. It took all my might but eventually it went on.

A great tip of friend of mine came up with for tightening or loosening the filters is to use a flat rubber soled shoe, sounds a little silly but works great.

The bottom of a rubber soled thong is great for this but Im from Australia so that may have a different meaning to most of you guys lol.

[video=youtube;rX4k_8lJaWM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX4k_8lJaWM[/video]

Been lucky so far and put on two without leaks. Another couple of hints, after you tighten the screws using the star pattern (like lug nuts) place the lens side down on a towel on a smooth hard surface and press the back down so you make sure the adapter is seated well, you will probably find you will get another turn of the screws after that or even a couple of turns to tight; Take the back off the housing and closely inspect your handiwork under strong light to make sure you have a uniform seal.

The trick to silicone grease is to make the surface shiny not greasy so just a little on fingers and rub the "O" ring well - gets off any foreign material too, the same for the threads, make them shiny not greasy, go down to your local dive shop and most likely they will have a pressure tester and pressure test the assembly without camera down to 150' or so. If it has a transparant door, you will probably see the "O" ring seal black line get bigger as the glass is pressed against it by the pressure.

Back
Top Bottom