GoPro alternatives - Drift Ghost S?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning to buy my first action cam - actually a pair for 3D. The GoPro did not catch me, because of the limited battery and its tendency to kill SD-cards or videos. However, I admire its IQ and looking for a capable alternative.

I found 2: the Ghost S from Drift and the Sony HDR-AS100V.

Does anyone have experience with the Drift unit? Currently it is my favorite, because of the variable FOV - however, the IQ is lesser than the AS100V and hero3 black (~26Mbps at fullHD 60p).
Is it a problem that the focus range (on land) is ~0.5m to infinity? How much do I loose in the first 0.5m (1.5')?

The 2 cameras you have listed are only waterproof up until 3 & 5m so not really usable during SCUBA diving.

It seems I have to go with a custom (=homemade) solution because of the 3D anyway (no default 3D option for the 3+, needless to say with variable interaxial...).

The 2 cameras you have listed are only waterproof up until 3 & 5m so not really usable during SCUBA diving.

Of course I've done my research and found the corresponding housings - rated to 60m. This is a POSITIVE thing compared to GoPro, since the hero3 is not waterproof without its housing and you loose the camera if you have a leak.

The GoPro did not catch me, because of the limited battery and its tendency to kill SD-cards or videos. However, I admire its IQ and looking for a capable alternative.

I'm not sure if you have misinformation or whether your basing this is on the early Hero 3 Cameras, which agreed, did have issues with memory cards and poor battery life.

However, the newer Hero 3+ models are much much better in terms of battery performance and as long as you stick with a 100% genuine card from the list of recommended cards, you will not have an issue.

Hope this helps.

The memory card issue may truly be history - I base my conclusion on the content - and the sole existence of threads in the gopro user forum. I also read sometimes of crashes/non-recording. For doing 3D systematically I really need a stable firmware - otherwise if just one shot is not recorded it will mess up the left and right file sequence and I have to check the whole lot manually.

Anyway, a hard selling point for me in the competitors is the waterproof body. Meaning if the UW case leaks I don't loose the cam in the middle of a once-in-the-life liveaboard.

I started my research with the hero3+, I am still considering it but would like to see what is the competition doing. As for IQ, I don't think any 1080p60 capable competitor with the 1/2.3" sony sensor and decent codecs would deviate much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom