GoPro 9 housing issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladodessit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
was wondering if it's me or the issue is real. I've used GP 5 and 7 in Gopro housings for a while. I learned that that housing hitting its limit at about 190 fsw. Housing kinda caves in and touch screen looks pressed in, with kinda rainbow look to it. At that point buttons may or may not work. Now I got Gopro 9 and original Super Suit. Camera works great but is unusable at anything deeper than 150ft. Feels like "record" (the button on the top) button is pressed in. I think the spring is too weak and water pressure just compresses it. At that point if you turn on the camera, it will start recording time lapse until you power it down with Mode button (the one on the side). Once ascended to above 150 ft or so - camera works as expected, with better colors and less noise than Gopro 7.

Gopro has replaced the housing already (easy customer support) but I just learned yesterday that it works (or, rather, doesn't work) the same way. I have escalated the case to higher level of support to figure out if it's a design flaw but was wondering if anyone else has had similar experience (or, perhaps, someone whose case works fine till advertised 196ft).

Well, the super suit is rated at 196ft. I am not asking for more, just want it to work at the rated depth.

Two housings both nearing the point of failure at that depth - How much do you or the readers trust GoPro's UW housing manufacturing vendor now? I guess - You could probably risk it if your diving is local where you can return home over a weekend trip and go again easily if your camera is flooded.

For others the stakes are typically too high - $450 for camera (add $200 for red filters spare batteries and tray accessories) , $1000 for flight tickets and another >$1500 for food stay and vacations and your UW shooting opportunity lost because of a $50 housing ... with the now useless/flooded camera cost that is unrecoverable.

The parts costing >$400 should work and I would be stubborn and obstinate if it didn't - demanding that the manufacturer fix it. I totally understand that. The $50 extra/accessory housing? Naah... I would just move on and find another product. I don't mean to sound preachy - just saying out loud what I am sure many would concur with.

I am ok with mine because I never dive below 40m and so have a safety margin - I switched from the 40m depth rated to the 60m one for this reason.

Cheers

I took my 15 dolars ali express gopro housing rated for 10 meters down to 95 meters. screen was unusable, all the buttons worked and the footage came out surprisingly nice. I lost that camera and bought a new one with a super suit, the dang thing leaked at 30 meters and no buttons were usable deeper than that...

Isotta....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom