GoPro 7 or 8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hector33

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m in the market for my first underwater camera. I’m planning to shoot without filters and edit with software afterwards. Can you see a reason why I should buy the 7 now or should I go straight to the 8 since I don’t own the previous cases that are not compatible. Thanks

The 7 and 8 are pretty close together technology wise. The mounting lugs on the 7 are fixed and the mounting lugs on the 8 are retractable.

The 8 black can be had at deal price through gopro but you have to do some shopping.

I may be wrong but if memory serves the Eight’s lens cover is fixed as the sevens lens cover is removable.

There are slight programming differences but they basically are the same.

If you go on YouTube look up Mic Bergsma. Dude man is awesome.

Glenn

I just bought the 8, coming from the Silver 4. One thing I find very useful is the presets. There are some preinstalled settings that are customizable that are accessible using the two buttons on the dive housing. You can even create some of your own presets. You will be able to change these during a dive. I have no experience with the 7 so it might have this feature too. I haven't used it under water yet, next week!

I just got the 8 and like it. I had another brand before but I really like the hypersmooth feature. It actually takes better pictures than my TG 4 too

My trusty Four just flooded and died n CZM last week...I’m looking to replace with the same...it worked just fine with a red filter on hundreds of dives.

anyone care to donate a 4:D

The 7 and 8 are pretty close together technology wise. The mounting lugs on the 7 are fixed and the mounting lugs on the 8 are retractable.

The 8 black can be had at deal price through gopro but you have to do some shopping.

I may be wrong but if memory serves the Eight’s lens cover is fixed as the sevens lens cover is removable.

There are slight programming differences but they basically are the same.

If you go on YouTube look up Mic Bergsma. Dude man is awesome.

Glenn

The 8's lens cover is removable, and you need to do that to use the Super Suit. Hypersmoothing is the real deal.

You can buy water proof cases where you don’t have to remove the lens cover. I just bought two for my 5 and 7 cost 18 dollars a piece.

I have the super suit and hate having to remove the lens. I mean why did gopro do that?

Like my new cases, by the way the color replacement filters fit both the super suit and the after market cases.

Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom